Author Topic: Prototype D/R Bamboo Backed Tri-Lam Longbow  (Read 988 times)

Offline Carbon Caster

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Prototype D/R Bamboo Backed Tri-Lam Longbow
« on: February 01, 2009, 12:40:00 AM »

Tried a few "new to me" tricks on this one.  We shall see if she makes the cut or the explosion as the case may be.  She has SCARY narrow tips and will have back nocks.  I have to glue my nock overlays on to rile back nocks into to start the tillering process.  It should be 64" NTN and have a somewhat holmegard style tips when finished.  One tapered and one paralell Osage lam with raw bamboo back.  Bocote Power Lam (Mini Internal Riser) and Bocote Riser.  Should be a real looker as well as shooter if she survives.  Let me know what you think and feel free to make suggestions as I have only cut it to rough shape and have not started tillering it yet.

Thanks guys,

Brian
Gen 27:3  "Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;"

In His service,
Brian Rice

TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Prototype D/R Bamboo Backed Tri-Lam Longbow
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2009, 07:01:00 AM »
That will be a beauty Brian.  Keep us along on the journey!
I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables!

Offline Lewis Brookshire III

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2009, 07:50:00 AM »
Ahhh, back nocks. Here is a pic of a set of limbs I made with back nocks....very scary until you shoot them. Frank (Sticshooter) owns that bow now and he affectionately named it the Suicide tip bow! LOL

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose."
- Jim Elliot: Missionary/Martyr.

Offline Carbon Caster

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2009, 04:10:00 PM »
Hopefully I will have time to prep and clue on some tip overlays tomorrow.  If you don't hear from me in a week or so, it probably means it blew up and killed me.  LOL!!!
Gen 27:3  "Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;"

In His service,
Brian Rice

Offline 4runr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2009, 04:16:00 PM »
Can't wait to see the finished product Brian!
Kenny

Christ died to save me, this I read
and in my heart I find a need
of Him to be my Savior
          By Aaron Shuste

TGMM Family of the Bow

Online PV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2009, 04:24:00 PM »
Originally posted by Carbon Caster:
Hopefully I will have time to prep and clue on some tip overlays tomorrow.  If you don't hear from me in a week or so, it probably means it blew up and killed me.  LOL!!!
:biglaugh:     :biglaugh:  
Like the curves CC. I lost a couple with a profile like that by thinning the belly to much while getting the mid limb to work. Good luck and look forward to hearing from you next week.  :)    :)

Offline Carbon Caster

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2009, 02:34:00 AM »
WELL......................................IF it makes it, it will go thru life having to put up with short jokes.  LOL!!!  I went TOO narrow in the outer limbs and one end with some bad directional grain on the belly lam did not want to come in line.  It is 56" NTN right now and I THINK it may survive to be one heck of a short bow.  The bad news is, I don't hold out any hope of tillering it out far enough for my draw length, 29".  I think I am going to try to get it to 26 or 27".  Who knows, I may get lucky and get it to pull to 28".  Right now it has 2.5" of deflex to 2/3's of the way out and then 1" of reflex in the last 11" or so.  That puts the tips 1.5" behind the back side of the grip as it sits right now.  Got to take LOTS of wood off of the Middle 1/3 of the belly and a bit off of the inner 1/3 as well.  Going to try leaving the last 6" or so full thickness for now and see what happens.  Won't get time to scrape any yellow curls until maybe Monday, but will post an update when I do.

In His service,
Brian Rice

Offline Carbon Caster

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2009, 11:09:00 PM »
I got her out to 20" and had about 55# there.  I was getting the limb timing about where I wanted it and was just about ready to start taking even amounts off of the belly of both limbs, when I strung it up one last time to exercise it a bit and do a final check on tiller before flattening the belly some and TICK!!!!  A splinter lifted from 2/3 out the limb and went on an angle down to the fades.  It is only in the Bamboo until the last inch and it splintered the Osage core layer a bit.  I am going to thin the belly like I had planned evenly on both limbs, Urac the BIG splinter back down, and wrap with serving material and see where the tiller and weight are from there.  IF it holds, and the weight is close and the tiller is still spot on, I will epoxy the wrap and shoot it a bit to see if that holds.  If so, it is going to get a matching wrap on the other limb for "looks".  If she survives this and becomes a bow, she will probably have to be named "The Phoenix".  I may post splinter pics in a bit as well as a strung pic as she sits even with the spinter.

In His service,
Brian Rice

Offline Carbon Caster

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2009, 11:26:00 PM »

In His service,
Brian Rice

Offline ChristopherO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2009, 12:20:00 PM »
Perservere.  Been there done that and will probably do it again.
It is suprising how much set a Boo backed bow takes, isn't it?

Offline Carbon Caster

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2009, 01:32:00 PM »
I actually induced some set on purpose after having to shorten it so much.  I left it full thickness to get it to show some more string follow early on in the tillerring hoping it would allow me to squeeze an inch or two more out of the draw on such a short bow.  

If you want to see amazing set, use Actionboo for a core and belly lam in a bamboo backed tri lam.  You have to plan for LOTS of set with that stuff, but it is almost indestructible.

In His service,
Brian Rice

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©