Author Topic: Bow Finish ?'s  (Read 1078 times)

Offline tenbrook

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
Bow Finish ?'s
« on: February 07, 2009, 11:50:00 PM »
I have been using Tru-oil to finish my glass bows using the "rub on" style.  I would like to start using a spray on finish.  I don't have a sprayer so it needs to come in a can.  What do you guys suggest?  Also when using Tru-oil by hand what can I use to rub it on that does not get fibers stuck to my bow?

Thanks!

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bow Finish ?'s
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2009, 11:59:00 PM »
I use my finger to apply Tru-Oil. Put a small amount in a small container(like a jar lid), dip the tip of your finger in and rub it on.
   You can buy spray on Tru-Oil. I have never used it but I know folks that have.
   If you don't like the high gloss finish of Tru-Oil on a hunting bow, a quick spray of satin poly over the Tru-Oil will give it a nice mat finish.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline wyatts daddy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2009, 12:53:00 AM »
I use Deft Laquer exterior finish in the blue labeled can. It works great. Just spray on very lightly at first, let dry about 20 to 30 mins. then run 0000 steelwool over the whole bow to make sure of no build-up or runs. I like the semi-gloss, the steelwool takes away any shine. Good Luck
Bill
The only thing I love more than hunting is my kids. 6 boys one perfect little girl.

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2009, 06:20:00 AM »
I've had good luck with Minwax spray Lacquer.
I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables!

Offline ghost rob

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2009, 08:40:00 AM »
I don't know if you can still get it but I used to use a polyurathane made by Deft called Defthane. It wasn't laquer it was a poly and it was easy to spray and dried to a flat finish comparable to thunderbird. It holds up really well, I have some bows that are 7-8 yrs old and still look good. If the finish got scratched all you had to do was clean it and reshoot it . Good as new. The last time I bought some (5 yrs ago) I had to special order it. This finish also won't yellow over time.One last thing, you have to put a seaaler coat on oily wood first or it won't ever completely cure. Rob

Offline Randy Morin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2009, 10:02:00 AM »
You can still get both Deft Poly and Lacquer.  What are the properties of a lacquer vs. a poly.  Isnt the poly going to be harder.
The deft poly takes 6 hours between coats with sanding between.  3 coats recommended.  The Lacquer by Deft is 30 minutes dry time.  There is also a deft lacquer sander sealer that seals up oily woods.

Offline Hoghead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2009, 11:33:00 AM »
I'm with Apex on the Minwax product's. I use their Helmsman Spar Urethane in a clear semi gloss. Story goes it was originally designed for
outside wood boat trim and allows the finish to expand and contract with the temp + humidity change's.
 Seem's to work, I'm in MN and have some 4 yr old project's still looking good.

All Good,
Don;
If Your Heart Is Free, The Ground You Stand On Is Liberated.

Offline tenbrook

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2009, 02:39:00 PM »
Originally posted by Apex Predator:
I've had good luck with Minwax spray Lacquer.
This stuff?

http://doitbest.com/Paint+thinner+and+turpentine-Minwax-model-15200-doitbest-sku-780066.dib

Or this stuff?

http://www.epinions.com/content_176211398276

Offline Hoghead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2009, 06:46:00 PM »
Cody,

Yup those are it. I'm lazy so I don't sand between coat's. I get a couple coat's on to seal, then I hold back 16-18 inches and spray,
it give's a dull bumpy texture and hide's well.
I'm talking hunting bow's, a purrrty target type bow and you might want a different finish?.
If Your Heart Is Free, The Ground You Stand On Is Liberated.

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2009, 07:24:00 PM »
I use the same as Hoghead,I just don't build enuff bows to set up a spray booth. I've had really good luck with it,except on oily woods,you need to seal with CA or somethin!
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline LoneWolf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2009, 10:21:00 AM »
I use their Helmsman Spar Urethane in Satin finish.  Seals great and no bright shine when your in the woods.
LoneWolf
"Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;" Gen 27:3

Offline LKH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2009, 02:05:00 PM »
Any shine problem is easy to solve w/2000 grit paper and water.  

Try to find a finish with U/V protectors and additives that keep it flexible.

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2009, 04:09:00 PM »
The gloss varnishes and polys are the hardest finish. A few coats of gloss first then a quick spray with satin poly will cut the shine. I spray satin poly over my Tru-Oil finish just to eliminate the shine.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline tenbrook

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2009, 09:30:00 PM »
I got a little hasty with the minwax and got some runs.  How long should I wait to sand them out?  Whats the technique for sanding out runs in the minwax?

Offline Clay Chapman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2009, 10:41:00 PM »
With poly, let it dry for at least a day so it wont be sticky then I would start with 220 grit then work up to a smooth finish by going finer and finer, then respray. Make sure you scuff the whole bow with a fine grit before spraying to insure adhesion.

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2009, 02:54:00 PM »
Yep, that's the kind I used to use before Fullerplast.
I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables!

Offline Roy Steele

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2009, 08:00:00 PM »
I'm like PAT I like to use my fingers it feels like the right thing to do with a wood bow.
   Kind of like when you shoot a buck your hands should be the first to touch his antlers.You've earned the right.Just as with a bow finish  it is the last thing you do to your bow and you earned the right to do it.So do it by hand.Indians did'nt saddle up an down to Lowes.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
 20 YEARS LEARNING 20 YEARS DOING  20 YEARS TEACHING
  CROOKETARROW

Offline cfox

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2009, 07:58:00 PM »
Most of the time I use Tru-oil but once in a while just for kicks I use Gulf Wax (parafin) Just rub it on the wood then melt it in with a blow dryer or heat gun. It doesn't put a hard shell on the surface but it's about as close to 100% waterproof as you can get, it leaves a dull non reflective surface.
haingontawatchewgawt

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©