Author Topic: Rawhide Question  (Read 1009 times)

Offline bigcountry

• Trad Bowhunter
Rawhide Question
« on: February 09, 2009, 11:23:00 AM »
Ok, so I know rawhide will not add to cast but might rob it.  I always thought rawhide just kept the bow from exploding.  

But from reading on here, it appears rawhide can take the place of the back?  In other words keep a bow from breaking period by taking off the strain?   Like bamboo or sinew?

Offline Falk

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Rawhide Question
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2009, 11:45:00 AM »
posted by bigcountry:
it appears rawhide can take the place of the back?  In other words keep a bow from breaking period by taking off the strain?   Like bamboo or sinew?
No! It will do as mentioned but not like boo or sinew, which both will also take their chare in  propelling the arrow - unlike rawhide - as you also mentioned in you first sentence ...

... just my 2ct

Offline bigcountry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2009, 12:07:00 PM »
Ok, so I am back to understanding it only keeps the bow from exploding.  I would imagine it would take some strain off the back?  Maybe a little

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2009, 12:12:00 PM »
Rawhide will help keep a bow from exploding. It won't necessarily prevent it.   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline ChristopherO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2009, 12:43:00 PM »
BC,
It isn't for adding draw weight but to help keep splinters from lifting, knots from giving away, grain runoff from creating havoc and such issues that would work to kill a bow.  And, is good for giving a good canvas to paint upon.
After looking at cow rawhide a couple of summers ago and seeing how thick it is I made my own from deer I have harvested.  Much thinner and lighter.  I've read where some have used cow rawhide but sanded it down thin first.
I've, yet, to use it on a bow I've made but will in the future.  Recently, I had the opportunity to handle a beautiful rawhide backed hickory recurve made by John Booth.  It was very appealing but it did not prevent set in the limbs.
Hope this helps.

Offline bigcountry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2009, 01:05:00 PM »
Originally posted by ChristopherO:
BC,
 It was very appealing but it did not prevent set in the limbs.
Hope this helps.
To me, this says a lot.

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2009, 01:08:00 PM »
I believe rawhide is fairly inert when used as a bow backing. It will add a bit of physical weight to a bow but you would never notice it. Just like using silk, linen or even brown grocery bag paper, they all do the same by helping to prevent problems like Christopher said but they will not prevent a badly made bow from blowing.
   If you are still considering this for your kids bow, nothing beats a good clean back ring, and especially with an osage bow.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline bigcountry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2009, 01:16:00 PM »
Originally posted by Pat B:
I believe rawhide is fairly inert when used as a bow backing. It will add a bit of physical weight to a bow but you would never notice it. Just like using silk, linen or even brown grocery bag paper, they all do the same by helping to prevent problems like Christopher said but they will not prevent a badly made bow from blowing.
   If you are still considering this for your kids bow, nothing beats a good clean back ring, and especially with an osage bow.
Well, I ordered a 44" blank from Mike to have another go at it.  So this time I am beggin for a stave that does not need heated, with no knots.  Figured the extra length will help.  Maybe be able to tiller little easier without thinning one side.  Overall learned alot from that break.

I am just still trying to figure out what is so good with rawhide.  I have a osage with rawhide.  Shoots great.  Just trying to learn more.

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2009, 01:27:00 PM »
Generally the only time I use rawhide as a backing is if the growth rings are very thin and I can't get a good ring down the entire back. With rings of 1/8" or more I don't usually use a backing at all unless it has other problems.
  I like to use rawhide because it is a traditional backing but so are silk, linen and paper. There were many bows out from the 40s that had(and some still do have) paper backings. Once these backings are blended with the glue they aren't the same as their original form.
   If you take the two components of fiberglass, neither are anywhere close to the product that is made by blending both. Fiberglass is actually thinly spun glass and you wouldn't think of backing a bow with window glass.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Roy Steele

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2009, 08:18:00 PM »
Theres nothing wrong with backing.I've backed a few bows myself.With some bows threse no other way to go.Now if the stave not good enough to make a unbacked selfbow I move on and get one that is.I know lots of people building bow just can't do this.But starting out this is the route you should take.The less things you have to deal with in a wood bow the better off you are.

Dead is dead do matter how fast your arrow gets there.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
 20 YEARS LEARNING 20 YEARS DOING  20 YEARS TEACHING
  CROOKETARROW

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©