Author Topic: Which glue  (Read 961 times)

Offline razorback

• Trad Bowhunter
Which glue
« on: February 09, 2009, 01:50:00 PM »
I have some cracks/checks to fill on a stave and have had several people give advice of either epoxy or thinned superglue. 2 questions
1. Which is your preferred glue for these types of repairs, and
2. How do you "thin" superglue?
Keep the wind in your face and the sun at your back.

Offline LKH

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Which glue
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2009, 02:02:00 PM »
You don't have to thin superglue.  Of course you can't used the "gelled" superglue that is available.  

Superglue is probbly the best since it seems to "wick" into the cracks better and therefore really fills the void.  I assume you're not talking big voids.  For big voids the epoxy may work better.

Offline mwmwmb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2009, 02:02:00 PM »
the bowdoc recommends Locktite 420. it is super thin.

Offline razorback

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2009, 02:07:00 PM »
LKH. one crack is about 1/16" and the rest are hair thin. Will look for the locktit 420.

Offline mwmwmb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2009, 02:18:00 PM »
mcmaster carr is a good place. you cant buy it in stores.

Offline ChristopherO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2009, 02:50:00 PM »
You can microwave the superglue for a few seconds and it does thin it.  But, beware that the label doen't have metal in the paint, like mine does, or it will spark greatly!

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2009, 04:06:00 PM »
I use regular over the counter super glue for fine cracks and checks. If they are bigger, and with knots, I use super glue and fine saw dust. If the voids are pretty good size I do this in layers, allowing time for the glue/saw dust to dry before I start another layer. This way I'm assured no voids are left unfilled.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Crimson mist

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2009, 04:16:00 PM »
both zap a gap and hot stuff make super thin stuff and is usually available at hobby stores or wood working stores like rockler and highland wood working and they also have online stores

Offline No-sage

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2009, 05:09:00 PM »
Watch the fumes if you use crazy glue.  Not only breathing them, but they will burn your eyes.

Offline razorback

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2009, 05:49:00 PM »
Will warming the area around the cracks help the glue to "creep" into the cracks, and would this hurt the bow in any way. Can you heat the bow too many times when straightening and inducing reflex.

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2009, 07:53:00 PM »
Warming a cold stave will help the glue penetrate better. I guess you could heat a stave too many times but I have had to heat and reheat some staves and with no ill results. If you do heat excessively you should allow a few days before stressing the stave so it can rehydrate.
   The bow I posted recently with the tiger stripes was heated and reheated and reheated to straighten out the bad bends and to add some good bends(reflex). After that I heat treated both limbs until they were chocolate brown then let it rest a week. It has very thin rings and knots in the limbs...and is one of my best shooters.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Mt. Clemens Bowyer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2009, 04:04:00 PM »
razorback
 I have seen other bowyers on the webb swear by a product called "CA Glue". It comes in 3 different varieties including the thin type which they used for delamination of bows. I have not used it yet, but certainly will if I get a problem. The thin variety looks like water and dries in 2 to 5 seconds. They instructed users to clamp up first before applying it because of the quick dry time. Apparently it seeps right in to the work.
 I purchased a small bottle from the "Wood Craft Stores" here in Michigan. There is many sources on the webb, also. Goodluck           John

Offline No-sage

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2009, 07:21:00 PM »
CA glue = cyanoacrylate glue = Krazy Glue.  They are all made from the same stuff.  Some are thinner than others.

Offline No-sage

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2009, 07:21:00 PM »
CA glue = cyanoacrylate glue = Krazy Glue.  They are all made from the same stuff.  Some are thinner than others.

I like the thin stuff for filling cracks and such because it penetrates very well.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©