3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Brackenbury Drifter shooters  (Read 550 times)

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Brackenbury Drifter shooters
« on: February 06, 2008, 04:37:00 PM »
i recently aquired ( a gift by a good friend ) an original Brackenbury Drifter by Jim Brackenbury. it is a beautiful bow with darm limbs and a lighter colored, checkerd grip riser. this is my first take down curve. 57#@30' and 66 inches. little heavier then i'm use to but shoots like a dream, very smooth. i plan to use it at 3d shoots this year. it is a beautifull, smooth bow, i'm very, very happy with it. was wondering about brace hieght and anything else you could tell me about this bow, its history and so on. will post pic's later.
I go by many names but Daddy is my favorite!
listen to everyone,FOLLOW NO ONE!!
if your lucky enough to spend time in the mountains...then your lucky enough!
What ever befalls the Earth befalls the sons of the Earth.

Offline Jeff Holchin

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Brackenbury Drifter shooters
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2008, 05:12:00 PM »
I too bought an original Drifter several years ago, and mine has 2 sets of limbs (51# and 61#).  It is signed to an individual, and I contacted Linda for the history but she couldn't remember much about that person now.  I often wonder where all that bow has been.....

I have to brace mine pretty high, as much as 7-8 inches, for best arrow flight.  I feel an obligation to fit it with Linda's custom flemish strings, which she still makes.
"He has also made me as a select arrow, He has hidden me in His quiver." - Isaiah 49:2

Offline Rusty Izatt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2008, 08:45:00 PM »
Hi Ken,
I have had several Brackenbury bows and they all shot well for me at 7 1/2 to 8". Great bows, wish I had my original shadow back. I have a Drifter on the rack right now. It's brace is 7 1/2". The drifter was Jims budget priced bow. And they shoot as well as most bows out there.

Rusty

Offline LONGHORN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2008, 08:51:00 PM »
Mine is almost 4 years old now and love it,made by Bill and probably using the same form design as the older ones (correct me Bill if I'm wrong).
Sweet spot at 7 5/8" brace height.

Serge
"The sportsman who accepts the sporting code of ethics keeps his commandments in the greatest solitude with no witnesses or audience other than the sharp peaks of the mountain, the stern oak, and the passing animal"
~Jose Ortega Y Gasset~

Online Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2008, 09:45:00 PM »
Yaa thats a great bow with some good MoJo.I had a 66 incher with 3 sets of limbs and it was a sweet shootin rig.I had mine at 7.5 inches or so.Only shoot B-50 on those older bracks.The riser is actionwood I do believe and the limbs are actionwood maple I think.i got a spare string thats brand new and made by Linda Brackenbury for that 66 inch bow of yours.Give me your address and I will send it to you for that classic bow.They really do shoot so nicely.Good luck with it

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2008, 09:49:00 PM »
Steelhead,
         thank you very much man!! will send ya a pm.  also thanks to all the responses, i need all the help i can get. yes it is indeed a sweet shooter!

Offline Squirrel Bait

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2008, 11:16:00 PM »
Ken,  I had a Legend many moons ago, If I remember right it was 7 5/8, 64" smoothest bow I've ever shot . I got it right after Jim died , it was made by Gordon.
If you've never been in the woods at daylight, and seen the world come alive, you haven't " Lived".

Online Herdbull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2008, 09:50:00 AM »
I have two of them made in the late 80s. I have the 64 inch, both are around 75#. Very dependable and you can kick them around pretty good in Alaska or out west with no problems. They hold their value well. I had another one (55#) I bought for $225 and sold for $475. I set my brace at 7 3/4. Mike

Offline BobCo 1965

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2008, 10:11:00 AM »
Yes, recommended brace from Brackenbury is 7 1/2-8".

Below is my Brack Drifter made by Jim, it is 68" and 61#'s at 28", 30 yard group:

Offline Matt E

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2008, 12:11:00 PM »
I have one of the last ones Jim made. I am to old and weak too shoot it anymore  :)  but it has been an excellent bow. I took a state shoots with this bow, Took a hog in the hill country,Tex, running at seventeen steps. and had many a good time just hunting and shooting. My Drifter has left me with many fond memorys. I can think of a lot of good bows I've had but none better.

Offline PSUBowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2008, 08:22:00 PM »
I bought a Drifter about 5 weeks ago on archery talk for $90. It is in excellent shape, has a few nicks on the limbs, but not many. Anyways, I contacted brackenbury bows about what brace height I should set it at, he said 7.5". They are a sweet shooting bow.

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2008, 08:42:00 PM »
$90????? i bet ya jumped on that right quick???
Thanks for all the replys, i will do some more shotting this week with the correct brace height, would enjoy a few more pic's if ya have any, i will take a couple this weekend.

Offline BigRonHuntAlot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2008, 08:46:00 PM »
Congrats on your drifter Ken.  A Drifter was my second bow. I shot it well too. Good Luck with your new bow.
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->

The Moon Gave Us The Bow, The Sun Gave Us The Arrow

Walk Softly and Carry a Big Stick

Offline Jeff Holchin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2008, 06:38:00 AM »
Jim inscribed on my Drifter "The Drifter custom made for George A. Gomez".  Anybody know of George A. Gomez?  Not my prettiest or fastest bow, but my favorite....

"He has also made me as a select arrow, He has hidden me in His quiver." - Isaiah 49:2

Offline George Gomez

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2014, 02:48:00 PM »
that would be me

Offline LB_hntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2014, 03:27:00 PM »
Originally posted by George Gomez:
that would be me
Now that is awesome.
He asks if anyone knows you and your first post is the reply... I love it.
Welcome to the Gang and perfect timing!

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2014, 07:12:00 PM »
Had one of Jim's bows and it was too heavy for me, but I still shot it.  the guy i got it from had to have it back.  I really liked the feel and easy draw-might consider another as it was sweet in the hand
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2014, 11:05:00 PM »
I had a Drifter made by nephew Gordon Porter, and two Quests from Bill. All have that same perfect grip and smooth feel when shot.

I took my Quest for a walk this evening after work. I let a 100yd shot fly at a huge groundhog and just fell short. Many a critter has fallen to my Bracks.  :)
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Offline soap creek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2014, 03:58:00 PM »
I have a Drifter Jim made for me in '84'. Original limbs were 65lbs. I had Wes Wallace make me a 51 lb. set a few years back. Wes can make them the same profile limb as Jim's. Its a smooth shooter. I've had some other high end bows but none I like any better. B/H on mine runs 7 5/8th in. Plan on handing it down to my son some day, but I'm not quite ready yet. Its my go to recurve for sure. Great bows.
(Rom. 10:13)

Offline Tim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2014, 06:34:00 AM »
Very cool, that was my first "custom" recurve.  I believe it was 1989 when I ordered it from Jim.  I think I paid around $330!   I really wanted a Silvertip but they were $595 and that was big money....   :scared:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©