Author Topic: First bow  (Read 600 times)

Offline Bruce Prosser

• Trad Bowhunter
First bow
« on: March 14, 2009, 09:27:00 PM »
Hello All,

I just finished my first bow this week made from a board stave of ash (not sure which kind). It draws 50 @ 28, wide limbs (1.75) and 66 inches long and unbacked. I have put about 400 arrows through it so far and today I heard CREEEEKKKK PING! and immediately instrung it and inspected the limbs. On the bottom right limb edge about 1 inch from the riser there is a lift/crack about two small matchsticks wide and about 1/2 inch long.

Question: Do I now have kindling, or in the community's opinion is it fixable. I am willing to have a less draw weight bow for plinking or for a nephew, but would like to keep my first one.

Thanks, Bruce  :(

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: First bow
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2009, 11:19:00 PM »
Can you narrow the limb and eliminate the splinter?  Or you can super glue it down and add a thread wrap around that area.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Andrew Wesley

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2009, 12:30:00 AM »
i would try to flex the limb a little and get super glue under that crack, then wrap it tightly w/ silk or raw hide.

i had a hickory board bow do that to me and the silk worked fine.

goodluck!
~Andrew Wesley

Offline Bruce Prosser

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2009, 09:36:00 AM »
Thanks, I never thought about super glue. I thought that I would have to narrow the limbs and pretty much retiller the bow. I will try the glue first though. I have a Locktite product that I think will work just fine and then wrap it with some slik thread/string.

Thanks again and I will let you know how it turns out.

Bruce

Offline Dano

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2009, 11:23:00 AM »
Sounds like grain runout to me, you could back the bow with rawhide, silk, or such, but I would get another board. Narrowing the bow may not eliminate the runout.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy" Red Green

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©