Author Topic: Cutting Accurate String Nock Grooves  (Read 862 times)

Offline SteveL

• Trad Bowhunter
Cutting Accurate String Nock Grooves
« on: March 18, 2009, 11:32:00 PM »
Howdy All,

Well I've taken my first baby steps in terms of bowmaking. I recently completed a Dryad longbow blank. Since Dyrad does such an excellent job and most of the hard stuff is done, there is not much to do beyond some sanding and shaping. Except..... the string nocks needed to be cut in. Now I'm generally pretty handy with hand tools but dang I had a hard time making the cuts come together so the sting would track properly down the center of the limbs. After several tries and a couple or three hours I finally got the string where it needed to be. You can definitely tell a real amatuer finished this bow. But that's OK it's all mine now and I've kind of bonded to it through the process.

I used a chain saw file to cut the string nocks. Is there a better tool I should use? Any suggestions on different methods will be greatly appreciated.

By the way, if any of you are considering a Dryad bow blank. Do not hesitate. They are top quality and easily compare to any of my other custom bows I've had built over the years.

This bowmaking stuff could get addictive. Now where are my oven plans.....

Online PV

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Cutting Accurate String Nock Grooves
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2009, 05:48:00 AM »
Mark them out before starting. Tape the nock off with masking tape. That way if your lines don't match you can take it off and start again with a fresh set of lines rather than try and decipher the extra ones.

Start the cuts  shallow with a tri corner file or a hacksaw blade. This gives the chainsaw file a place to grab.

This bowmaking stuff is addictive..........

Offline razorback

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2009, 06:40:00 AM »
How about some pics!!!
Keep the wind in your face and the sun at your back.

Offline Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2009, 08:57:00 AM »
If you have nock overlays, I cut the groove across the back of the overlay when I get to the short string, string the bow and mark the location of the string loop for my side nocks.

Offline SteveL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2009, 10:23:00 AM »
PV and Eric, that is exactly what I needed. Excellent! The next time around I think it wll go much smoother. Thank you so much!

Online PV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2009, 12:52:00 PM »
I like it Eric!! What a time saver. Thanks

Offline Bob Sarrels

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2009, 08:35:00 PM »
I built a jig that I clamp the limb into.  On both sides is phenolic separating the area I want to file in my grooves.  This has taken out some of the time I was spending on nock grooves.  This is only on my longs.  I still mark my curves and start them with a tri file then go to the chain saw file.  Sometimes these need to be increased slightly to get the limb to pull true.
Now then, get your weapons ~ your quiver and bow ~ and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.  Gen. 27.3

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2009, 05:17:00 PM »
bump for me  (cant see pics at work)

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©