3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Am I at Risk??  (Read 944 times)

Offline kawika b

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Am I at Risk??
« Reply #40 on: February 07, 2008, 01:36:00 PM »
You can do it ONLY if you furbish finished pictures.
Nana ka maka;
ho`olohe ka pepeiao;
pa`a ka waha.

Observe with the eyes;
listen with the ears;
shut the mouth.

Thus one learns>>>------>TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Yolla Bolly

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: February 07, 2008, 02:34:00 PM »
Why not go all the way and JB Weld a whisker b-kit?
"Son, yeh gotta learn the Tehama 3-step."   Homer Whitten.

Offline TonyW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: February 07, 2008, 02:57:00 PM »
Am I at risk? got me thinking.
The problem isn't the rest, it's the arrow.
The arrow doesn't need a rest, it needs more zip.
And then I walked down to my workshop and

EUREKA!

I spied an old bag of fireworks. I remembered the rocket assisted take off devices of WWII. What about a rocket assisted arrow? That would be as trad as "The Star Spangled Banner" and, heck, could probably be shot from the most trad wallhanger aluminum delaminated bow around.

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #43 on: February 07, 2008, 03:03:00 PM »
Ernie, if this thread gets any sillier, or you don't come up with some pix and shootin' results, I'm gonna hafta shut 'er down before things really get outta control.  :D     "[dntthnk]"      :rolleyes:     :cool:
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline Hornseeker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: February 07, 2008, 03:16:00 PM »
Gimini Cricket... OK..I'll get the camera out. I haven't tuned arras to her yet, but I have flung some with good results! I am really enjoying getting NO riser contact, the bow seems "quieter" and my groups are normal to possibly slighly better....

Be back shortly with pics!

Offline Hornseeker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: February 07, 2008, 03:30:00 PM »
Looking at it from the back...

From the Belly....

Ewwww, the hole...

And...can I be reinstated TRAD if I shoot a Grizzly off it!!!???

Offline GameMaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: February 07, 2008, 03:30:00 PM »
Your set up is fine, with it you will be surprised on how many different arrow types and sizes that will shoot out of your bow. Any arrow rest that gives or is able to move vertical or horozontal during the shot is what we call forgiving. You can't get that out of a solid arrow rest. Also you should be able to find the right arrow for your bow alot faster.The bows I shoot all have the old springy wire rest and I won't change for the reasons mentioned. I'm not afraid of drilling and tapping any holes because of the end results. Just remember if you string your bow by hand your still traditional to me!

Offline Hornseeker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: February 07, 2008, 03:31:00 PM »
By the way...I just wrapped that SVL octopus tentacle wrap thingymajigger on there this morning... I always shoot bare wood grip, but I must say...I like it. Ugly as sin though, even more ugly than the hole in the riser!!

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #48 on: February 07, 2008, 04:05:00 PM »
Looks good, Ernie.  Now yer ready for a FITA tourney ... or hunt!

Offline Blake

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: February 07, 2008, 04:05:00 PM »
Ernie, first carbon limbs, now a flipper rest...!  If you need that grip leather wrapped just let me know, I may be able to find someone to do it for you.  Are you planning to be at the TBM meeting this weekend?

Offline Hornseeker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: February 07, 2008, 04:25:00 PM »
I cant make the TBM Blake...

You do leather work??

Yep..hunting and target...both. Not Fita though:0)

Offline Blake

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: February 07, 2008, 04:39:00 PM »
Ernie, Can do... Shoot me an e-mail and we will see what we can work out.  I am taking off now for Lewistown.

Offline Hornseeker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: February 07, 2008, 05:33:00 PM »
Cool, have fun.

Offline Labs4me

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: February 07, 2008, 07:43:00 PM »
Opinions about whether you are "at risk" or not aside - that's nobody's call but your own -  looking at your new set up from a purely performance based perspective, it appears that you have taken not one, but two steps in the wrong direction. Assuming your bow was originally tillered with the intent of the arrow being shot off the shelf using a two below/one above grip on the nock. If improved accuracy was your goal, this doesn't make a bit of sense.  :confused:
"You must not only aim right, but draw the bow with all your might." - Henry David Thoreau (Before the advent of compound bows with 85% letoff)

Offline insttech1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: February 08, 2008, 10:26:00 AM »
Hmmm....no sense, huh?  Two mis-steps?  Improving flight will help accuracy.  As for the tiller, his delta from shelf to elevation is miniscule if you extrapolate the distance out to each tip.

If he has some "marginal" tiller error that is magnified by this distance, he will find out.  Otherwise, the change of 3/4" is neglibible to the limbs once the bow is re-tuned by elevating the nock point and completing the tuning process.

Guess all those Oly guys have it wrong, and should be shooting off the shelf...
"When you catch Hell--DROP IT!!  When you're going thru Hell--DON'T STOP!!"

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #55 on: February 08, 2008, 10:37:00 AM »
Originally posted by insttech1:
...  Guess all those Oly guys have it wrong, and should be shooting off the shelf...
With hard sights you could stick the rest 2" above the shelf, set up, and still shoot a near perfect round field round.  Been there, done that.  I've stuck an NAP flip rest on an ACS longbow and shot a near perfect 20 yard 300 round using a 3 under release.  

An elevated rest does yield less feather/vane contact with the bow, if properly set up.  

IMHO, that's the difference 'tween "instinctive" versus "freestyle" (soft or hard sights) - instinctive barebow archers really want everything low and inline 'cause we aim with our bow arm and brain.  :)

Offline Hornseeker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: February 08, 2008, 10:55:00 AM »
Labman, I"m not seeing any trouble with Tiller at that nock height, and I've consulted with quite a few serious target archers that claim you can shoot an arrow off an elevated rest or off the shelf without adjusting tiller.

The ILF/OLY rigs can adjust for tiller, and when you are at THAT level, you just may need it, but when i'm shooting a measely 230-260 indoor round, I dont think its going to effect me. I'm getting great bareshaft flight...so I'll get great broadhead flight when the time comes...

Rob...its hard to argue with the arrow close to hand stinctor theory, but I am shooting this rig pure stinctor right now and shot close to my best 300 round last night with a hunting weight bow (249)...nothing to get excited about for many, but it was for me!!

I'll keep playing with her... last night I ripped the flipper out and stuck a T-300 on her...now I guess the holes there for no reason... ooops.

:0)

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #57 on: February 08, 2008, 10:58:00 AM »
As long as you're the one havin' fun, Ernie ...    :D  

PS - 4 years ago (?) I shot a 294 indoor 20 yd round with that Flipper rest on a 47# ACS, 3FU.

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: February 08, 2008, 11:09:00 AM »
Paul Schafer shot off an elevated rest, I believ ya do what ya want and who cares what everyone else thinks! Shawn
Shawn

Offline Wulomac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: February 08, 2008, 11:39:00 AM »
Looks good to me!  Wells
And God was with the lad; and he grew, and dwelt in the wilderness, and became an archer.  GEN-21:20

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©