3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Am I at Risk??  (Read 946 times)

Offline Labs4me

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Am I at Risk??
« Reply #60 on: February 08, 2008, 11:52:00 AM »
And this one time at band camp, I saw a man shoot a perfect 300 using a longbow which had an elevated rest stuck to the side of his top limb. And he shot it while sitting on the ground by aiming with his feet...

:bigsmyl:      :biglaugh:
"You must not only aim right, but draw the bow with all your might." - Henry David Thoreau (Before the advent of compound bows with 85% letoff)

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: February 08, 2008, 01:25:00 PM »
Originally posted by Rob DiStefano:

IMHO, that's the difference 'tween "instinctive" versus "freestyle" (soft or hard sights) - instinctive barebow archers really want everything low and inline 'cause we aim with our bow arm and brain.   :)  [/b]
Rob,

I suppose that's an individual thing. I shot instinctively for 17 years before I ever decided to try gap shooting. During that time, all my bows had elevated rests and I never had a problem shooting instinctively with them. As a matter of fact, the first time I broke 400 on a 450 indoor round I was shooting instinctively off an elevated rest.

I know that for some people, having the arrow close to the hand is important to their instinctive shooting. But personally, it's never been any advantage to me.

Offline HATCHCHASER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: February 08, 2008, 01:30:00 PM »
Do what you like, like what you do!  :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
It's not the arrival, it's the journey.

Offline Hornseeker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: February 08, 2008, 01:37:00 PM »
Amen Hatchaser!! Amen!

Lab...the point is...not everyone has to do it the same way... Believe it....Or Not....

Offline laddy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: February 08, 2008, 02:00:00 PM »
I glued a flipper rest to a self bow, that wasn't center shot either. I did get better arrow flight.  I found that the bow would tolerate stiffer arrows with the flipper rest.

Offline Labs4me

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #65 on: February 08, 2008, 02:50:00 PM »
Hornseeker:

If there is one prevailing, ubiquitous theme on this site, it's that shooting traditional gear should be fun and that there is no right or wrong way to do it. Everyone - meaning everyone - fully understands this principle. But this thread began by asking "Whatcha think?" and not with, "Everyone who agrees with what I'm about to do please respond with praise, all others please remain silent".

You asked. And I responded with an opinion that is contrary to what you had in mind. It was not offered in an attempt to in any way imply that, "everyone has to do it the same way."

But the problem with these kinds of threads, you know, the ones that begin with: "Is this traditional?" or "If I do this, am I still a traditionalist?"  or, "If I put a cushion plunger, elevated rest, illuminated sights and a 3' long stabilizer on my selfbow and shoot carbon arrows tipped with mechanical broadheads using a trigger release- am I at risk of…not being traditional?"………..the problem with these kinds of threads is that when someone offers up an opinion that is contrary to that of the anything-goes cavalry, through the magic of twisting words and massaging points of view, invariably these threads degenerate into “See- that elitist traditional snob is trying to tell everyone that there is only one way to shoot a traditional bow.”

Sometimes I feel like these types of threads are put out like bait piles…to lure prey (people with divergent opinions) in for a sure kill by the anything-goes cavalry. For this reason, I strongly wish that our forum moderators would put the kibosh on threads that in any way question what is or is not traditional.  
   :banghead:     :(      :confused:      "[dntthnk]"
"You must not only aim right, but draw the bow with all your might." - Henry David Thoreau (Before the advent of compound bows with 85% letoff)

Offline Hornseeker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #66 on: February 08, 2008, 08:03:00 PM »
I put the thread out to see if others have done it...and for entertainment...not just for me, but for everyone. I enjoy seeing others opinions on matter! :0)

"And this one time at band camp, I saw a man shoot a perfect 300 using a longbow which had an elevated rest stuck to the side of his top limb. And he shot it while sitting on the ground by aiming with his feet..."

I wasn't real sure where you were going with that..it sounded like you were agitated that me, or Rob or whoever?? had shot good with a longbow that had some techno refinements...if thats not what you were doing...and maybe the big smiley faces afterwards should have clued me in, I apologize...

I think these threads can be fun. I felt wierd doing that to my bow and I thought, "I'm gonna ask the Trad Police if I'll still be trad??" So I did... I think most of us have had fun with...if you have..thats cool ...if not...sorry.

Ernie

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #67 on: February 08, 2008, 08:11:00 PM »
I like peoples opinions and to hear what they think. Labs it is not the thread that starts the crap it is the people. If we just repect that people have the right to their opinions than there would never be a problem. I have never tried an elevated rest but I have a Schafer and I am gonna try one and also shoot plastic vanes from it, just to see if i will like it or not, it may be an option for those real rainy days. Shawn
Shawn

Offline Labs4me

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #68 on: February 08, 2008, 09:28:00 PM »
I am also of the school that we do what we do to have fun. I further believe that if it's your bow and it makes you happy, who cares what anyone else thinks. But there does seem to be a pattern to these, "Is this traditional?" type of thread.

Someone will pose a question- often soliciting the opinions of others; e.g. "Is shooting a longbow with a trigger release 'traditional'?"

A few people will offer their opinion that they do not feel that trigger releases fall under the umbrella of "traditional" (whatever that is?)

Then eighty seven people - I refer to these people as the anything-goes cavalry - jump in and proceed to lambaste the others for offering a divergent opinion.

Then the post gets locked or pulled.

Invariably, a couple-few days later, someone will try to re-start the same topic by changing a noun. ("Is it traditional if I put sights on my recurve?"; "Are stabilizers considered traditional?")

Until someone comes up with a concrete, undisputable definition for the word "Traditional", if these posts are to have any value whatsoever, people must be permitted to offer up various and divergent opinions. Embrace the opinions that you agree with. And politely disregard the ones that you disagree with. But this predatory practice of baiting people with questions and then ridiculing them for expressing a unique or divergent opinion has got to stop!

I'm years beyond being a kid anymore, and in my experience a truism that I have come to notice is that the more defensive people become in defending their opinion, in reality, the less secure they are with their convictions.

Offline Rico

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #69 on: February 09, 2008, 09:07:00 AM »
Yes you are at risk, It is not traditional at most traditional shoots.
  I do agree it is your bow do with it as you wish and hunt with it as you wish there is no state that makes them illegal to use most cb archers must use a raised rest if you need one to get good flight which you will if you want to shoot vanes install and be happy.

Offline hawksnest

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #70 on: February 09, 2008, 09:14:00 AM »
Ernie my friend, I put a box of rests & stuff in the mail for you yesterday, let me know when you get it.  Bill

Offline Hornseeker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #71 on: February 09, 2008, 07:08:00 PM »
THanks Bill...

Labman... I agree with all you said... well said...

Rico, I have another 5 or six laying there with no rest...so if it comes to that...I'll be fine! :0)

Ernie

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©