Author Topic: Bow explosion....  (Read 632 times)

Offline AKmud

• Trad Bowhunter
Bow explosion....
« on: March 23, 2009, 01:55:00 PM »
Last night I was tillering a birch board bow and it was looking great.  I had used the long and short tillering strings and it had great shape and I was getting really good limb movement.  I went to brace the bow and without warning it came apart on me.  

I'm guessing I was just going a bit too fast and my string may have been too short for that initial brace, but I know I had more limb movement on the tillering tree than what that string was asking of it.     :confused:

What most likely went wrong?  Is white birch (paper birch) a decent wood for a bow?  It looked promising while I was working on it.  The wood was native Alaskan birch and was kiln dried.  I'm thinking about starting another, but if it is a problem with the wood, I won't waste my time.

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bow explosion....
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2009, 04:24:00 PM »
What method were you using to brace the bow? If the push/pull, you may have put uneven pressure and overstressed the bow. Birch isn't a very strong in tension wood so over stressing one area could result in a break.
  You have to educate the wood and early in the process, uneducated wood can cause problems if pushed.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline AKmud

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2009, 07:50:00 PM »
That is probably what happened.  I wasn't using my stringer since it was moving really well and I hadn't worked on the tips yet...Lessons learned.

I got another piece of the same board today to give it another try.  I usually flex the bow about 30 times every time I remove wood while tillering but I will definitely spend more time working the wood before I go to brace it.

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2009, 10:50:00 PM »
How is the grain on your board. You may want to back it as insurance. Silk, linen or rawhide will work for a backing.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Roy Steele

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2009, 05:22:00 PM »
I say 98% of board bows need to be backed.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
 20 YEARS LEARNING 20 YEARS DOING  20 YEARS TEACHING
  CROOKETARROW

Offline George Tsoukalas

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2009, 10:06:00 PM »
A properly chosen, straight grained  board need not be backed because it is a board. A backing is suggested for beginners though and if the grain is  not good. It's about the angle of violations and the draw weight wanted.  There's more on my site. Jawge

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©