3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: John Schulz Longbows  (Read 438 times)

Offline Steve Crowl

• Trad Bowhunter
John Schulz Longbows
« on: February 06, 2008, 07:42:00 PM »
Just wandering how many guys out there shooting John's bows. My first longbow was a Schulz. I got the bow, arm guard, back quiver, leather bow case, glove and leather case all for less than $200. Now I'm showing my age. I met him and saw him shoot at the PA Bowhunters Festival. He was very smooth and quick as he shot. Very firm on the Hill Style being follwed as he coached folks after the demo.
Steve Crowl

"Proud Father of several Marines"

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: John Schulz Longbows
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2008, 07:49:00 PM »
:thumbsup:  Personally, Never Heard of the Man, But He Sounds Like an Archery "Hall Of Fame" Candidate!!  :notworthy:    :notworthy:    :archer:
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2008, 07:54:00 PM »
I dont buy many bows but I want one of them!

J
Always be stubborn.

Captain hindsight to the rescue!

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2008, 08:02:00 PM »
I watched a video he made and was very impressed. since that time I have read everything I could find on him. He is a Baptist Preacher and that is most impressive to me since I am a Christian as well.I practiced his shooting technique and it has allowed me some shots on critters I normally would not have got shots at.Since my shoulder injury I have reverted more to the Hill style because I don`t hold at anchor as long and it does not strain my shoulder. I would recommend the video to anyone. I got mine from 3 rivers. "Hitting them Like Howard Hill " is the name I think.I even plan on building a Hill style bow this summer to hunt with next season to go along with my homemade r/d longbow "Mojo".
  And yes he does belong in the archery hall of fame and I would surely like to have an "American" longbow.RC

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2008, 10:07:00 PM »
I just saw two Schulz longbows sell for over $930 each on e**y.They are increasing in value

Offline TSP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2008, 10:30:00 PM »
As much as I like and admire the Hill style of shooting and enjoy shooting my Hill bows, I've never had the opportunity to own or shoot a string-follow bow such as what J. Schulz made.  I'd like to be able to see and feel the difference in shooting characteristics between the Ekin bows and the Schulz bows.  Someday, maybe.  But not for $930 a pop, lol.  

Something tells me that John Schulz would have a good laugh if he saw the prices that his bows are going for now.

Offline Squirrel Bait

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2008, 11:19:00 PM »
For the lefties, Len Busbee has a Natural on his site for 500.00 , traditionalarcherysales.com

Ted Fry has a rightie on his site.
If you've never been in the woods at daylight, and seen the world come alive, you haven't " Lived".

Offline Kid's Pastor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2008, 01:24:00 AM »
Give David Miller a call (Miller Longbows) he trained under John Schulz and builds a string-follow bow that is a close copy to what Schulz built and Howard Hill shot.

I have ordered one of his bows called Ole Tom. This is a copy of the bow John Schulz used in his video, "Hitting 'em Like Howard Hill".  

Give David a call, he is a wealth of information on bow building, John Schulz, and Howard Hill. Do me a favor and don't keep him on the phone to long, I want my bow ASAP!!

Every time I have located one of John's bows I am either broke or to slow on the draw. That is why I finally contacted Mr. Miller.

bowwalker - tell your Marines THANK YOU!!

God Bless,

Paul

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2008, 04:38:00 AM »
Van at Hunt like a man also builds them though I'm not sure what happened to him.  My emails go unanswered though not undelivered.

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2008, 04:39:00 AM »
forgot to mention I also have 2 of Johns all boo bows, and a buddy just happens to have one of Johns last bows he ever built.  Actually one of the 'boy's' was supposed to build it and it wasn't going to have the good boo on it, till John found some and for some reason built it instead of the boys.  

Hopefully they come around and get a video of him building, and or get back into build them!  It is one thing I'd like to learn..someday.  I'd say soon but soon has been a couple of years now.   To many irons in the fire to melt another one though the time is getting closer  ;)

Offline Missouri Bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2008, 05:05:00 AM »
I've got one of his older bows, kind of like a Hill, and really lite to hold.  Yew limbs and myrtle handle.  I love it.

Offline Steve Crowl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2008, 05:26:00 AM »
I have only owned John's glass bows. I did get to shoot one of his string follow bows, but preferred the feel and performance of the glass bows. I currently have a Hill Tembo made by John. I picked it up from Dick in Seattle. It has horn tips, dark brown glass, dished laced leather grip with a gloss finish. His grips are a little narrower and slightly my pointed on the belly side which seems to set better in my grip.
Steve Crowl

"Proud Father of several Marines"

Offline killinstuff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2008, 06:25:00 AM »
The guys that paid over $900 on that auction site were crazy. Raptor archery, a sponsor here has a nice one for half that price someone should jump on.
lll

Offline stumpsniper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2008, 11:11:00 AM »
Bowwalker, are you trying to talk yourself into not selling that thing.  Just sell it and send me my 20 bucks, you know you shoot your Schafers better anyway!  That bow will not make it to Denton Hill in your possession!   :D
Semper Fidelis

Offline newell38

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2008, 11:42:00 AM »
"The worst thing I can be is the same as everybody else. I hate that.” – Arnold Schwarzenegger
Endless loop strings, heavy bows, and wood and only wood arrows...my kind of archery!

Offline Blake

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2008, 04:20:00 PM »
One of John's boys is gearing up to start building bows again.  He is busy with his "day job" so not sure when he will actually start building them.  One here at the local archery shop on the sale board for, I believe, $1400.  Beautiful bow!

Offline GregD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2008, 06:16:00 PM »
Nate Steen makes a great glass backed string follow bow that is very similar to John Shulz's bows.

Offline Grey Taylor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2008, 10:45:00 PM »
If I remember correctly, Pete George was one of Schulz's students.  I have one of his bows gathering dust since the handle is a little big for my hand.

Guy
Tie two birds together; though they have four wings, they can not fly.
The Blind Master

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2008, 06:49:00 PM »
I would be Very Interested to See This Mans Form! I Might actually Shoot Better!  "It Aint The Bow, Its The Indian Shootin' It"
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Offline knutestoner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2008, 09:28:00 PM »
Hello everyone. Hoping someone can tell me about how long John Schulz made bows and the different models. I ran accross this forum in my search for info. My dad, brother and I met him at Forksville in the late '70s and he made three bows for us along with arrows, quivers, armquards and gloves. I had mine sprayed a matte finish by Fedora archery in the early '80s as it was too shiney for my taste. All three bows were made out of yew. I think he called this model the "Redman". I think he also liked to inscribe the bows he made with nicknames as mine was "Red Bear", my brothers "Red Hawk" and my dads was "Red Cloud".  I was about 17 years old at the time and I remember John cracking jokes as he measured us up for the bows and arrows. Great memories. Here are some pics of the set up he made for me. 64 pounds at 26 inches. This bow is somewhat plain compared to other ones of his I've seen. I hardly used the arrows...too pretty.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©