Author Topic: The Evolution of the Tillering Gizmo, Lets Make One  (Read 4088 times)

Offline vanislebowyer

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: The Evolution of the Tillering Gizmo, Lets Make One
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2009, 10:08:00 PM »
question:

what about using this with character bows, especially yew that has rollercoasters rather than snakes?
dumb as a bag of hammers

Online Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2009, 12:15:00 PM »
The gizmo won't work with a stave with a lot roller coaster. I almost always take the roller coaster out of my osage before I start a a bow because it is such a pain to tiller.

If the roller coaster is only in one place in the limb I eyeball that section and use the gizmo on the rest.

Offline Hermann From Bavaria

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2009, 01:45:00 AM »
hello eric!

i got some spare massaranduba in my workshop and probably some spare time today. worth a try i think.

but it works only on straight grained wood i think, isnt it?
in past even the future was better, so what do you want?

Online Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2009, 08:40:00 AM »
It works on any bow limb, snakey, round belly, flat belly, just doesn't work well if you have a limb with a lot of dips and humps or what we call roller coaster.

Offline ChristopherO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2009, 07:03:00 PM »
Eric,
Having just finished a charactor osage that won't be worth using due to a fracture in the belly I think the next project will be a clean flat belly bow.  Do you heat your osage on a caul first with clamps to clean up the roller coasters?

Online Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2009, 08:53:00 AM »
I start with heat and a caul and do final tweaking in my vise. Some I can get out completely, some I can't. Some raise splinters on the belly during corrections so I start with wood thick enough to rasp the belly cracks off if they appear.

Offline ole yeller dust

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2009, 09:29:00 AM »
I used my gizmo at mojam last week works great, and also saw others,  thanks eric
that bow sure is yellar

Offline Paul/KS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2009, 10:08:00 AM »
I made a couple from some spalted maple for donating to the prize table. A great idea and a handy tool...

Offline Dano

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2009, 11:28:00 AM »
I think it was Dean Torges that came up with something similar, he called it the "walky talky" I think, but the addition of the pencil instead of the screw is great, at least for straight staves.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy" Red Green

Offline Tom Leemans

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2009, 09:03:00 AM »
Dean's had screws on each side at varying depths, so you could use whichever side worked best for the tillering stage you were at. The adjustable pencil feature of the tillering gizmo makes the same thing possible and easy! BTW I won a tillering gizmo in my prize package from this year's clout shoot.  :thumbsup:
Got wood? - Tom

Offline TimTodd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: September 24, 2009, 08:38:00 PM »
Sorry if this sounds naive, but I'm just starting out, and I don't understand exactly what this tool does. If someone could explain it, I would really appreciate it. Thanks.

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2009, 10:29:00 PM »
Tim, as you tiller a bow you want the limb to bend evenly. This great little tool will leave a mark on the stiff areas and not on where the bend is. It allows you to see where wood needs to be removed from and where wood should stay.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline TimTodd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: September 25, 2009, 12:41:00 AM »
Ah, well that is an incredibly useful tool then, thank you for the explanation.

Online Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: September 25, 2009, 08:55:00 AM »
I took it for granted that everyone would use the gizmo like I do but found I should have explained it's use more in depth.

One guy said when he used the gizmo it caused stiff spots to move from one place in the limb to another. Another said he works one stiff spot then uses the gizmo to find another to work on.

For the gizmo to to work at it's maximum potential, every time you put it on a limb to check for stiff spots, run it the entire length of the limb, not in one small spot.

When you start scraping off the pencil marks and removing wood, work on all the stiff spots at the same time, not just one spot at a time.

This way the whole limb will be corrected when the pencil no longer marks the limb with a gizmo swipe from fade to tip.

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: September 25, 2009, 11:44:00 PM »
Eric, are you sanding down the nut side once things are finished so it's sitting flush? or is it still recessed in the finished gizmo?  Got some stuff today to build a couple of them from the home depot.  Found some 1x1" trim 6" long that'll work perfect!  now if I can only find my dang forstners LOL!

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: September 26, 2009, 04:23:00 AM »
ooops..cut my tapers backwards too LOL!  DOH!

Online Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: September 26, 2009, 09:02:00 AM »
I drill the big hole deep enough to tap the nut about 1/4" below the surface of the wood. I drilled a shallower hole on the earlier version and sanded the wood and nut flush but often lost too many threads of the nut in the process. The new version with the recessed nut works much better.  

This nut is in a little over 1/4" deep.

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: May 11, 2010, 12:43:00 AM »
I tapered mine even more Eric. Your Gizmo works great. Since using it, all of my bows are coming out great.

Online Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: May 11, 2010, 08:47:00 AM »
I am going to add the instruction sheet I send out with gizmos to this thread so people can see the finer points of using one. I made changes to the instruction sheet as I got feedback from the users. Some were using it incorrectly or found better ways to get the most out of it.

I will add the text first then insert pictures. I have to hunt up the pictures so adding them may take a while.

Online Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: May 11, 2010, 09:50:00 AM »
USING THE TILLERING GIZMO

After floor tillering your bow, bend the bow slightly on your tillering tree or tillering stick using the long string. Retract the pencil in the Gizmo and run the wood block up the bow’s belly and find the widest gap. Screw the pencil in the block to a point it is almost touching the bow’s belly at the point where you found the widest gap. I change the angle the pencil has been sharpened to a very short angle and sand the tip of the pencil flat for the best results in marking the limb. This lets you work very slight bends.

Initially I set my gizmo pencil about 1/8” off the limb for the first few corrections. This course setting will mark only the stiffest spots. If you set the pencil too closely for your first few passes it will mark the whole limb.

Run the Gizmo up the belly making sure it is centered on the limb. The
pencil will mark non bending areas that need wood removed. Always check the entire limb with the gizmo every time you use it and scrape wood from all the stiff spots at the same time, not one stiff spot at a time.  Start on the long string, continue at brace and up to about 20” of draw. You do need to have a way to hold your bow string while you mark the limbs with the Gizmo.  

I often set my gizmo for one limb and use this setting on the opposite limb as well. This way you will end up with two closely matched limbs.

I have holes in my tillering tree and insert a 3” piece of dowel in one of the holes to hold the string with the limbs slightly bent while I mark the limbs with the gizmo.

Go slowly, no more than ten scrapes on the marked areas of the limb, flex the limb 30 times and recheck. I have found it usually takes 5 or more check, scrape and check sessions to get a stiff spot moving so be patient.  You can get the limb bending perfectly this way. You will still have to eyeball bending in the fades but the rest of the limb will be perfectly tillered. Hinges will be a thing of the past.

Make a few passes with the gizmo on your limb and the areas that need attention will be perfectly obvious. You can fine tune the tillering by closing the gap between the pencil and limb to almost nothing. At this point I like to use a cheap orbital sander to remove both wood and any tool marks that are left. With course sand paper, the sander will leave tiny swirls in the wood so I like 220 grit for my final tillering work with the sander and follow with a light hand sanding.

The gizmo doesn’t work in the fade out area of the riser so you will have to eyeball the bend in this area or put a flat board across the back of the bow in your tillering tree and watch the gap between the back of the bow and the board to see where the limb is bending.  

Tillering that once took me hours to get close  takes me about 45 minutes with the Gizmo and the end result is close to perfect.

Remember the key thing to remember for proper tillering is using a scraper or sand paper and work slowly, only scrape off your pencil marks, flex the bow and recheck. I often make a zig-zag pencil mark from one side of the limb to the other over the gizmo’s pencil mark to make sure I remove equally from one edge of the limb to the other.

If you ever get the urge to grab a course rasp or use a belt sander to speed things up even more, take a coffee break and come back when these thoughts have passed.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©