3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: DIY hunts  (Read 229 times)

Offline mooseman76

• Trad Bowhunter
DIY hunts
« on: February 06, 2008, 08:22:00 PM »
I spent most of yesterday walking around the Eastern Sports show and I've come away depressed once again.  I've about given up on outfitted hunts (for now anyway, till I get some medical issues worked out for my son).  After talking with some other guys they suggest Do-It-Yourself hunts.  My question is where do you start?  I would like to start with something inexpensive, with a good chance at seeing game.  Maybe hogs down south somewhere or turkeys somewhere.  Once you pick a species what process do you guys go through to plan the rest of the hunt (finding public land, etc...)?  Any and all tips you can offer up are greatly appreciated.  Thank you in advance...Mike

Offline La. bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: DIY hunts
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2008, 09:20:00 PM »
INTERNET, this is the most valuable tool out there, pick the state you want to hunt, the area you want to hunt, and go to the state wildlife website. Here you can find maps of public land, listings of campgrounds and helpful info about critters to hunt there, also most states are broken down into areas with regional and area conservation officers. Get the phone numbers of these people and call them they are very very helpful I have even met some of them that have personally taken me to conservation areas and shown me around and places to hunt. Good luck and just keep on looking you will find what you are looking for.
La. Bowhunter trad archery addict

Offline LV2HUNT

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2008, 09:23:00 PM »
I would decide what you want to hunt and potentially where you want to hunt. Once you determine that then you can put out some feelers here and get some more precise help.

One thing with hog hunts on public land is that in most states they have to occur during a hunting season. So you will need to take that into account when scheduling.

Offline coyotebb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2008, 09:36:00 PM »
I hunt antelope almost every year in North Dakota. I would be more then happy to help you get a hunt lined out. If your interested let me know and I will get you my contact number.
Bob

A slow hit beats a fast miss every time!

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2008, 10:56:00 PM »
Give CK a buzz at  7th Age BowHunters

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2008, 11:04:00 PM »
If you want to hunt hogs I can help you get started on some public land if your interested. If you got any woodsman skills you`ll see game and probably get shots.RC

Offline mooseman76

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2008, 11:27:00 PM »
Thank you for the info fellas.  I'll most likely be in touch with some of you guys to take you up on offers to get me started.  I really appreciate it, great bunch we got here...Mike

Offline JOKER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2008, 07:08:00 AM »
Mike, If you are thinking that you would like to do a DIY hunt for elk or muledeer you may want to start to put in for draw hunts to get points(i.e. arizona, colorado, new mexico,...). some state are bonus points, some preference points and some no points. It will most likely take years to get drawn and will cost you some bucks in application and license fees. However when you get to go you can do it yourself, see lots of game and save big money over guides. Last fall I got a AZ elk tag after 7 yrs of applying. Wow what a hunt I got a 375" bull and my budy got a 346" bull. Hope this helps, Steve

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©