Author Topic: weighted arrows  (Read 735 times)

Offline Lee Lobbestael

• Trad Bowhunter
weighted arrows
« on: March 27, 2009, 06:41:00 PM »
Is there any way to add weight to cedar arrows other than at the tip? It seems like adding to much weight just at the tip will make it fly funny?

Offline Mike Mecredy

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: weighted arrows
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2009, 06:52:00 PM »
By adding layers of clear coat you can add some weight.  I dodn't know what sort of sealer is on them now but use something that dries fast like acrylic based finish.  I'm not sure how much you want to add but that will add some
TGMM Family of the bow
USAF, Retired
A.C.B.C.S.

Offline razorback

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2009, 07:42:00 PM »
You could also add some shrink wrap cresting wraps to the back end. not sure how much weight they will add but will add some.
Keep the wind in your face and the sun at your back.

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2009, 07:44:00 PM »
I believe you can soak them in Danish Oil for 2 to 3 days and add not only extra weight but also an excellent finish. I've never done it but I heard about it on TradGang. You might look through the "How To" section.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Eastern Hunter 14701

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2009, 10:04:00 PM »
Not sure why you want to add the extra wieght to arrow, but the heavier the front of the arrow is the more stable the arrow will fly. This is known as Front of Center(F.O.C). To much wieght on the back of the arrow will cause erratic flight. On most hunting arrows 10 - 15 % of the arrows wieght should be towards the front. To make an arrow heavier all around just use heaveir fletching, cresting wraps,nocks, and heavier points.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2009, 12:44:00 AM »
Each dip of poly will add 15-20 gn. sometimes more, depending on diam. and temp.

Offline Lee Lobbestael

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2009, 12:07:00 PM »
Thanks guys. Eastern Hunter, the reason I need to add weight to my arrows is for kinetic energy. The more weight you have at a given speed the more kinetic energy and the more penetration you will get. I'm planning on elk hunting with an ash self bow this year and penetration is what i need!

Offline eman614

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2009, 01:04:00 PM »
more weight doesn't always equal more kinetic energy. with more weight you will have less speed, and speed is half of what gives you kinetic energy. not saying that you are wrong at all just giving some food for thought.

Offline Eastern Hunter 14701

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2009, 06:27:00 PM »
Lee I thought that might be why you wanted to add the wieght, but didn't think to include that in my response. There are some intresting articules on kenetic energy on the web. Most point to the fact that the more an arrow wieghs the more energy it absorbs from the bow when cast, increasing penetration. The downside is shorter fight. But getting to the vitals is what it's al about. Good Luck with your hunt, dont forget to post pics  ;)

Offline Jack Skinner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2009, 01:58:00 PM »
Also consider a different wood for your arrows. Ash arrows like what your selfbow is made of will be heavier than cedar arrows. If staying with cedar soaking as stated above works well for cedar. One of the trad shooters here in Cheyenne was doing it for awhile and it work pretty well. He even made his own soaker that held a doz or more arrows at once. He was using danish oil if I remember correctly.

Offline lablover

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2009, 01:40:00 PM »
Read this months Traditional bowhunter theres an artical on soaking to get weight.
Bowhunting is a passion, not an obsession. Its just hard for my wife to tell the difference sometimes.

Offline dave_570

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2009, 07:36:00 AM »
well..when i started on the road to primitive..i read everything i could get my hands on about arrow
flight and such. i made lite ones, thick ones, skinny ones, heavy ones.....etc. I shot all out of the same bow....66lb reflex-deflex boo backed hickory, at a layered foam target. figured it shoud
be dense enough to provide resistance to the arrow. believe it or not...ALL arrows penetrated that
target the SAME amount, give or take a fraction. So
i figure whats most important is PROPER hunting
techniques and above all SHOT PLACEMENT.....my 2 cents....

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©