Author Topic: IPE degreasing  (Read 696 times)

Offline bigcountry

• Trad Bowhunter
IPE degreasing
« on: March 28, 2009, 04:36:00 PM »
Well, I have turpentine, denaturalized alcohol, and mineral spirits.  Which is the best to degrease IPE for boo glueup?

Which is best for osage to prepare for sizing and sinewing with hide glue?

Offline Buckeyehunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: IPE degreasing
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2009, 06:37:00 PM »
I've heard that denatured alcohol works well but I've never tried it.  I use a product I purchased from home depot specifically for degreasing wood.  It is made by "Bix" and works very well.

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2009, 09:04:00 PM »
I have used denatured alcohol and mineral spirits for degreasing. I would go with the alcohol.  For the osage to be sinewed I would use warm water and Dawn dish soap or even wood ash. I have used acetone for this.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline bigcountry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2009, 10:52:00 PM »
Pat, do you think I should go out and buy acetone for my IPE.  I finally got my boo flat and core ready.  I know titebond recommends acetone, but I figured the alcohol was doing the same thing.  

I can feel the oil while floor tillering the core.  I can't believe how oily it is.

Offline Chuck Hoopes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2009, 11:12:00 PM »
I use acetone.  Last ipe I made I forgot to degrease,before glueing Hick. backing-- Ive shot it about 50 times- So far so good- This also is, what the man was heard to say, who fell off a 20 story bldg. as he was passing by the 3rd floor.

I think you'll be fine w/ the alcohol.

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2009, 11:28:00 PM »
The alcohol will be fine. Give it tome to evaporate before you glue it.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline bigcountry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2009, 08:50:00 AM »
Pat, I heard to use the lye in ash before.  But this idea just blows me away.  I mean ash is well, dirty.  I know its an old time idea that must work.  

I mean do I just go out to my wood stove and get some oak ash and mix with water and start washing with it?  

Its not that I am cheap when buying acetone, its just I got all these stinking chemicals and seem to sit around for years.  And like to use em.  I know the alcohol is hygroscopic and has a shelf life.

Offline bigcountry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2009, 08:51:00 AM »
Originally posted by Chuck Hoopes:
I use acetone.  Last ipe I made I forgot to degrease,before glueing Hick. backing-- Ive shot it about 50 times- So far so good- This also is, what the man was heard to say, who fell off a 20 story bldg. as he was passing by the 3rd floor.

I think you'll be fine w/ the alcohol.
I bet your thinking about it, everytime you fire off an arrow.  Hope it holds up for ya.

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2009, 10:43:00 AM »
If you can keep from using harmful chemicals like acetone, do so.  Wood ash mixed with water makes a very basic solution (lye) that WILL remove surface oils...and your skin if you are not careful. It is on the opposite end of the acid/basic scale and as powerful as acid but on the other end of the scale. At least it is natural. Dawn dish soap is one of the best grease cutters around. IMO When sinew backing a bow, a bit of moisture(fron water/ash or Dawn soap) is not a detriment because you are adding it with the sinew and hide glue, anyway. Wetting your wood will help the wood absorbe the glue and that will help strengthen the bond.
  Wood ash is not dirty! All of the "dirt" was eliminated in the fire and the ash is all that is left over and is pretty "clean".
TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©