Author Topic: Shaving Horse/Bow Bench  (Read 1133 times)

Offline razorback

• Trad Bowhunter
Shaving Horse/Bow Bench
« on: April 03, 2009, 12:53:00 PM »
lets see some pictures of any one using their bench making a bow. I am interested in making a better set up than the one I use now and would like to see what others use.
Thanks.
Keep the wind in your face and the sun at your back.

Offline razorback

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Shaving Horse/Bow Bench
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2009, 12:58:00 PM »
Here are some shots of mine. They are not real good and I will get some better ones later.

Offline No-sage

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2009, 01:08:00 PM »
I use the same type of vise you have.  Mine is more centered in my bench so I use both sides of it.

I have holes drilled in the face of my bench that I put dowels in.  I put the stave under the dowel, then into the vice.  This lets me give downward pressure without the stave tipping down towards the ground.

Offline razorback

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2009, 01:14:00 PM »
I have a block that I clamp to the bench instead of dowels, though I may steal that idea. Working off the end of the bench lets me get inline with the bow and helps me pull consistently straight down its length. Can also move around it to get a better veiw of all sides of the bow. it works OK but am thinking of getting a 5" vise that can rotate and pivot.

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2009, 02:25:00 PM »

Mine's a simple but effective one.  Vise in the middle of a bench that is made from 3/4" plywood reinforced in places.

I use a block and stand at one end when chasing a ring or hoggong a back.

It's pretty much always in various stages of mess.  Although it is clean right now.  I should take a pic so I remember what that looks like  :)
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline razorback

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2009, 06:21:00 PM »
Glad I'm not the only one who accumulates so much essential stuff on my bench that it is hard to any tool I really need.

Offline scrub-buster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2009, 08:02:00 PM »
Here is what I use.  I made it out of a 4'x6' skid that I cut in half and then put a top on it.  I use blocks of 4'x4' with different size notches in them and then clamp the stave down with a ratchet strap and a pull strap.  It holds the wood rock solid for some major drawknifing.  I also use a vise clamped on a work bench for more detailed work.  Its not pretty, but it was all free.

AKA Osage Outlaw

Offline razorback

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2009, 08:45:00 PM »
Your right, she aint pretty but looks like it would work well. Would it be more comfortable if the seat area was a little narrower?

Offline scrub-buster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2009, 10:04:00 PM »
Originally posted by razorback:
Your right, she aint pretty but looks like it would work well. Would it be more comfortable if the seat area was a little narrower?
It probably would be for a narrow person.  I am not very narrow.  It fits me well.  I had originally put the foot operated clamp that is on a traditional shaving horse, but the stave would move a little and it seemed like I was fighting it most of the time.
AKA Osage Outlaw

Offline Moen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2009, 04:19:00 AM »
One from me.. It`s Laburnum on the horse..

cm and mm... (Norwegian..hehe..)

Never believe that you are worthless .... you can always be used as a bad example!

Offline razorback

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2009, 07:58:00 AM »
Moen that looks very good. i wish I had room for one like it in my workshop. May have to move stuff around and find rom for it.

Offline Moen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2009, 11:14:00 AM »
Yust make one with impregnated wood..Leave it outdoors:) Or...mont hinges on the legs.
Never believe that you are worthless .... you can always be used as a bad example!

Offline tim roberts

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2009, 11:40:00 AM »

Here is a couple of pictures of my bench, the second one shows it with the tillering tree attached.
Tim

TGMM Family of the Bow

I guess if we run into the bear that is making these tracks, we oughta just get off the trail.......He seems to like it!  
My good friend Rudy Bonser, while hunting elk up Indian Creek.

Offline razorback

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2009, 11:45:00 AM »
Tim. Just saw your other post and was wondering what the dohicky under the bench was. Now I know, it is your tiller tree. Very convenient use of space. I like your bench top, is that hard maple?

Offline tim roberts

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2009, 12:48:00 PM »
Razorback,
That is some maple that came out of Weber State Univ's Basketball floor.  My Dad calls them 100 year old benches.
Presently I don't have the room I would like to attach a tillering tree to the wall, and I know my bench ain't movin' so it seemed like a good idea.
Moen,
That bench of yours is a work of art, very nice!  :thumbsup:  
Thanks,
Tim

TGMM Family of the Bow

I guess if we run into the bear that is making these tracks, we oughta just get off the trail.......He seems to like it!  
My good friend Rudy Bonser, while hunting elk up Indian Creek.

Offline razorback

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2009, 01:13:00 PM »
I had the same problem and was using a tiller stick against the wall on one of my benches. thanks to some advise I got from here, I believe John Scifres, I drilled a whole through my bench and mounted the pulley below the bench.

This photo is a little blurry but gives the idea.

Offline Leo L.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2009, 06:28:00 PM »
This is what I do.  It ain't much, but it works.

I don't have a tillering tree built yet, but as you can see, I'm far from needing one anyhow.

Offline elkslayer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2009, 08:00:00 PM »
I love all the shaving horses and I just think dang my shop is small enough. I use a vise on my bench just like the first pic and I have a black N Decker work mate and when I go out I take it and it holds just great in a pinch. And the best part it folds up to nothing.

Offline razorback

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2009, 07:50:00 AM »
I can never get my workmate to sit still enough while I am working on it. I havn't tried it for delicate work and I know it would probably be fine for that.

Offline Leo L.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2009, 10:57:00 AM »
What I do is pull my stool up to the end of the stave there, and put my chest against it, then wrap my legs around inside the workmate, does just fine for now.  For draw knife work, I sit right on top of her and go to town.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©