Author Topic: BBH?  (Read 528 times)

Offline Wyostikbo

• Trad Bowhunter
BBH?
« on: April 03, 2009, 10:07:00 PM »
I have a couple of pieces of hickory board. They are a full 2"x4"x72". The grain looks great. Is there a detailed instruction anywhere that would help me make a BBH bow ? I would also like to know where the best place to get some bamboo that would work for backing. Maybe some suggestions on type of glue also.
Any help would be great.
Thanks,
Brent

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: BBH?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2009, 12:27:00 AM »
Hickory isn't the best belly wood for a boo backing. It can be done but hickory shines as a backing and not so well as a belly wood.
  If your board is relatively straight grain, you can get a lot of hickory backing strips out of the one you have. Cut them along the 2" side.
  A hickory backed hickory would be another option.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2009, 07:26:00 AM »
I agree with Pat on this Brent. The bows Ilike for a hickoryboard are like I said in the pm, about 66" long and 1 5/8" wide. I just made one for a group of kids that I got set up with bows and I took it out and shot it a bunch with 30" long flu flus after 75-100 shots it only took about 3/4"-1" of set. this was a solid bow that started with 1.5" reflex. That bow was only 64"ntn. Now I take and back some osage with the same hickory(1/8" thick) and you have a very solid bow. my next go will be my HBH. flight bow I glued up. This one will start with about 3" of reflex. I am not trying to jack your thread Brent, just showing you that a nice hickory board can be lots a fun.
Have fun, Chuck
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

"Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.”
~ Francis Chan

Offline Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2009, 08:53:00 AM »
The last BBH bow I made was 1 1/4" wide, 64" ntn, glued in 3" of reflex before tillering and is an absolute rocket launcher with about 1" of reflex after unstringing.

I made it from a paddle looking hickory bow I made many years ago that was an awful bow, my third or fourth if I remember correctly. I flattened it, narrowed it, backed it and completely reshaped it, even had a slightly rounded belly.

I was impressed with this bow and would make another if I didn't have so much osage.

Offline Wyostikbo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2009, 11:17:00 AM »
Thanks guys. I have enough of the wood to try several things.
I haven't made any board bows just staves so I'm nervous about the back. I'm used to one ring.
I will give it a try both ways probably.
By the way Eric, try not to brag about all your osage to a guy who lives in Wyoming it kills us. The closest thing we have to bow wood is serviceberry and chokecherry, lets just say I'm pretty handy at pounding out sinew.
Thanks for the info.
Brent

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©