Author Topic: string issues  (Read 867 times)

Offline eman614

• Trad Bowhunter
string issues
« on: April 05, 2009, 10:22:00 PM »
the other day i was shooting the long bow i made when it made a strange noise. so i stopped shoting and gave it  a once over. thats when i noticed the one of the bundles of string in the loop had broken. so i checked out my string grooves and sure enough they were a little sharp.just didn't sand the down well. so i ordered another string and while i waited for it to arrive i re worked my string grooves. i made it so that there were sharp parts to cut the string. well my new string came in  and i put it on and shot it a few times and everything seemed to be fine. today i went to a 3d shoot, and towards the end of my last round the bow made a crazy noise and sure enough one of the bundles of the strings loop had busted   :mad:   . what the crap is going on   :knothead:   . someone please help!!!
eric

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: string issues
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2009, 10:47:00 PM »
Hey Eric, The 2 most likely places for probs are where the string makes the corners on the back of the bow,(you probably have it fixed). And where the loops come out of the nock grooves on belly. Got any pics?
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline eman614

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2009, 11:54:00 PM »
here are a few. the pic quality isn't that great but kenny you are right it keeps breaking  where the string comes out of the nock grooves on the belly

Offline Leo L.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2009, 02:29:00 AM »
Ooohh yikes, that's scary.  I hope you can get it fixed and soon.  Your string maker is happy this month, huh.

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2009, 05:55:00 AM »
You are gonna have to bevel the angle on your string grooves.  Just take a file or some sand paper and have a go.  You will have to seal the area when you are done.  Super glue will work well for this.
I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables!

Offline Art B

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2009, 07:08:00 AM »
Your problem could be the back of the string groove (on the belly side). If you have a very long draw length the string could be contacting the back of the groove. Any corners there should be eliminated as well. No matter what, you still need to teardrop shape your grooves as was mentioned. To give you an idea of what I'm saying, your string loop is tear dropped but setting on square shoulders.

ART B

Offline eman614

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2009, 07:47:00 AM »
thanks guys. leo my string maker is very happy. me not so much. apex are you talking about the same thing that art b is talking about. i kind of figured that i was going to have to do this. now that i think about it. i didn't have this problem until last week when i started actually anchoring my bow. before i just snap shot and never really got to full draw. also never broke a string that way. anyways i'll give this a shot and if it doesn't work i'll be looking for some more suggestions. thanks again.
eric

Offline frank bullitt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2009, 01:52:00 PM »
Eric, is this the upper or lower nock? Looks like lower to me by the size of loop. Any way what I'm getting to is that if upper and you unstring the bow alot the upper edge of the limb could be a little sharp. What the others said is for sure, just something else to check like, Kenny says. Good Shootin, Steve

Offline eman614

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2009, 06:36:00 PM »
well i didn't like the shape of the tips anyways so i decided to change them completely, and i'm glad i did. i think they look much better this way. the super glue on the tip needed to be smoothed out so i did after it dried,don't have a pic of it after the fact though. shouldn't have any more problems with it cutting the string, what do you guys think?
thanks again,eric

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2009, 07:00:00 PM »
Eric,
 Where I was thinkin is in the bottom left pic.

See the sharp corner on the side away from your overlay? When you shoot,the string takes the brunt of the excess energy right there.

Top right of the groove. I put a curve there to your right and sort of radius the groove.
Stay sharp, Kenny.

Offline eman614

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2009, 07:15:00 PM »
kenny,
are you talking about where the string leaves the groove on the belly of the bow? if so you can't really tell it from the pics but, i softened them up the first time i had the problem but, it didn't seem to help. maybe i am not understanding what you are saying. do you have a pic? that may help me understand what your talking about.
thanks, eric

Offline rkmnt2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2009, 07:37:00 PM »
Eric, I think you get what Kenny's saying....right where the string leaves the groove on the belly. If you look at your pics fron the side views, there's a very sharp transition. I think you need to radius it some more...not just toward the handle but maybe inward a little bit too. Try to help the string get where it's being pulled to a little smoother.
    Don

Offline eman614

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2009, 07:49:00 PM »
so what your saying is to make it so that it is more "rounded" towards the center line of the bow?
essentially making the black part on the lower right pic narrower. should it also angle down towards the handle?
thanks a bunch, eric

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2009, 09:39:00 PM »
"making the black part on the lower right pic narrower"

Yep,a little.

The main string cutter I see is still in the left bottom pic, on the right side of the string groove lookin at the pic. See the sharp corner? Round that dude over so the string makes a smooth curve.

Photobucket locks me up,so I can't come up with any pics right now............
Stay sharp, Kenny.

Offline eman614

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2009, 09:50:00 PM »
is this where you are talking about? if so it feels smoot to the touch but, with the string smacking it the way it is thats probably not enough. thanks for the help so far. i'm sure there will be more questions to come.
eric

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2009, 10:22:00 PM »
That is the spot,round that corner over really well and I think you'll have it made!!

How did you draw those lines? I wanted to do that really bad,just didn't know how!!
Stay sharp, Kenny.

Offline Glenn Newell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2009, 07:38:00 AM »
Eric, seeing you are making your own bow you really should learn how to make your own strings and add some extra strands to the string loops.
As has already been suggested, round the corner over well and it should be right, but get some extra strands and wax added to those loops as well...Glenn...

Offline eman614

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2009, 07:52:00 AM »
glen after this past week i am seriously considering it. especialy since ive spent as much on strings as i would have spent on the stuff to make them! kenny i dont know how to do it to someone else pic, but to do it to your own i went to photobucket and clicked edit then, i clicked on the tab that said decorate(i think) and it gave me the option to draw, and i just clicked on that. thanks again for the help,eric

Offline Jeremy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2009, 08:21:00 AM »
I agree with Kenny, that's way too sharp of a corner.  The entire string groove needs to be a tear drop shape, that includes tapering toward the midline of the bow as well.  I think your angle is a little steep too - the loop shouldn't really bent very much at brace.

Here's the only good pic of a tip I have right now (Massie Longhorn)

If you looks through some of Apex Predator's buildalongs you'll see some really good pics of tips.  It's the most overlooked area of the bow, and I've seen many professional bowyers tips that aren't very good.  I've had to reshape a few.
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->
CT CE/FS Chief Instructor
"Death is not the greatest loss in life.  The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live." - Norman Cousins

Offline rkmnt2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2009, 12:22:00 PM »
Now THAT'S a beautiful transition!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©