Author Topic: Fine tune this tillering job.  (Read 1018 times)

Offline ALW

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Fine tune this tillering job.
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2009, 12:29:00 PM »
Great looking bow.  Be sure to post some pictures when you get her finished out.  Could you give us some details as to the lam thicknesses you used and the limb width?  I'm wanting to build one similar to that and I can use all the help I can get.  Thanks.

Aaron

Offline str8sh2ter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2009, 01:29:00 PM »
Aaron.i must admit i just ripped the lams on a tablesaw.2 hickory around 1/8-3/16' ea. ,1 honey locust also around 3/16".i added a Walnut wedge in between the first hickory and the locust.it's a couple inches longer than the riser.I also just sanded it and eyeballed the tapers.nothing is too perfect but it tillered out Ok. i had limited tools available .next time i'll get more precise lams made.The riser is Walnut and Striped Maple glued up.
  It was my first attempt and a real "Seat of your pants" learn as you go build.It shoots pretty good  though.Good luck with your build.

Offline Roy Steele

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2009, 06:08:00 PM »
After I get the tiller close like your bow is.Start shooting it after a while(shooting)you'll start seeing the flat spots you missed no matter how close I think I have the tillering I always end up seeing some after shooting the bow awhile.Scrape them out and shoot somemore.
  And I agree with PAT it's not good to leave bow drawn for very long.The less stress you put on your limbs the better.The less set you will end up with.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
 20 YEARS LEARNING 20 YEARS DOING  20 YEARS TEACHING
  CROOKETARROW

Offline str8sh2ter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2009, 08:16:00 PM »
thanks Roy.I'll be keeping an eye on the limbs and do as you suggest.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©