Author Topic: Which String  (Read 594 times)

Offline Dmaxshawn

• Trad Bowhunter
Which String
« on: April 13, 2009, 09:28:00 PM »
Trying my second bow here and I got to thinking which string to use?  How do you know if it can take a fast flight, dacron, or whatever types of strings that are out there?

The bow specs are 64 inch R/D longbow and shooting for 42lbs @ 28.  typical lam bow ya know glass veneer cores veneer glass.  

Thanks
Shawn

Offline bjansen

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Which String
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2009, 09:48:00 PM »
A Dacron (B-50) string offers more stretch, thus cancels out a bit more vibration, but due to the additional mass causes the same bow to be a bit slower(compared to FF).  That being said, Dacron is a safe bet on any bow.  

A fast flight (Dyneema, or other low stretch string) has higher breaking strength per strand, and is often thinner per strand. The same strength string has less mass compared to a Dacron string thus makes the bow a bit faster.  Being low stretch it will not cancel out some of the vibration as a Dacron strand would and is harder on limb tips.  

From my experiences, if you pad the loops of a FF string with Dacron it will be fine on any bow, and those "bits" I mentioned earlier are generally unoticable.  What you dont want to do is (in my opinion that is) is use a fast flight string (without padded loops) on a bow that does not have adequate tip overlays and poorly cut (not rounded) string grooves.

Offline Dano

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2009, 09:57:00 PM »
I use FF on all my selfbows and longbows, never been a problem, and no padding. Recurves are another thing, unless they have phenolic overlays I will only use B50. JMO
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy" Red Green

Offline TomMcDonald

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2009, 10:52:00 PM »
What's your reasoning for not using it on recurves?

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2009, 11:06:00 PM »
Shawn,
Hows the bow makin going?

I use d97 on my bows like that. If you use some phenolic to reinforce the tips,you'll be fine. I go about 3/4" to 7/8" towards center from the string grooves to start the phenolic.

I have some phenolic now in stock,just arrived today.
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline Dmaxshawn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2009, 07:26:00 AM »
OK thanks for all the help guys.

Kenny its coming along well I had a few bumps in the road.  I knocked the riser off my bench and you guessed it the the fades broke.  So lesson learned there.  But will hopefully get some work done to day after the rain.  

Shawn

Offline pditto613

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2009, 08:12:00 PM »
Shawn,
See you live in Fl, are you going to the traditional shoot in Jacksonville this week end?
"the older I get the better I was"

Offline Dmaxshawn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2009, 09:08:00 PM »
If its Saturday I cant unless I show up in a big red fire truck.  

Nah Not happening.

Offline LPM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2009, 06:30:00 PM »
I'm with Bjansen.  

Pad the loops on fast flight strings.  To prove this theory however, would take alot of experimental shooting under controled conditions.  

Materials and design of the string nocks would all have an affect on a bows ability to handle fast flight strings.  Materials being the trump card in a marginal design situation.

It stands to reason that the more bearing surface you have in the contact area of loops to string nocks, the greater the area to distribute the stress and pressure from the string.

Most of us can't stand to shoot with bare fingers..........We need a little pading.  Think of what those string nocks go through.
LPM

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©