Author Topic: drying green cocobolo  (Read 472 times)

Offline rkmnt2

• Trad Bowhunter
drying green cocobolo
« on: April 19, 2009, 10:47:00 AM »
I found an amazing piece of wood but it's still green. The guy at the wood shop says I can put it in a plastic bag and nuke it for 30 seconds. The bag will become wet from the moisture in the wood coming out, reverse the bag inside out and keep repeating this til it no longer gets wet and my wood will then be ready to go.
   Sounds pretty risky to me. Any thoughts?
   Don

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: drying green cocobolo
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2009, 11:07:00 AM »
If it were me, I would set the wood aside for proper drying and curing. Be sure the ends are sealed to prevent checking(drying cracks) and give it at least a year of curing time. You may be able to force the moisture out but I believe this method would not allow the wood to achieve its ultimate cured strengths.
  Tropical woods have a slower drying time than most of our native woods because of the higher oil content. By forcing this process you are not allowing the resins to solidify in the cells which gives the wood its maximum strength.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Leo L.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2009, 02:45:00 PM »
That may be an acceptable method of drying for a static wooden project, but as Pat B. said, you probably don't want to be trying it with a wooden bow which will be constantly bent and under pressure/compressed.

Offline rkmnt2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2009, 06:28:00 PM »
Thanks for the backup. I think my money would be better spent on something I know will work for now. It sure is pretty though. Maybe I'll buy it and just let it sit around awhile......

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©