Author Topic: Jatoba board bow?  (Read 605 times)

Offline AKmud

• Trad Bowhunter
Jatoba board bow?
« on: April 20, 2009, 03:42:00 AM »
I have a nice piece of Jatoba that I have been avoiding, but I need a new project.  Will a good grained Jatoba board work unbacked for a 50-60# bow or do I need to back it?  If I end up backing it, what would be a good combo?

Offline SteveD

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Jatoba board bow?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2009, 05:57:00 AM »
I have just started a Bamboo backed Jatoba. This is my first attempt with Jatoba. My understanding that it is on par with ipe as far as density.

Offline Broke another one

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2009, 06:23:00 AM »
Im new to this but IPE is 1.08 SG. If thats what Jatoba is then it would make a nice bow wood, you could back it with Bamboo. Bamboo takes more set per mass than most hardwoods and when bamboo is tempered with heat it can gain in compression strength and elasticity.
If I am wrong let me know it.

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2009, 07:53:00 AM »
I've not used jatoba for a bow but I know others that have. It does make good backed bows, either with boo or hickory. It may make a selfbow is the grain is good.
   You DO NOT want to temper boo for a backing. Tempering boo for a bell is a good idea.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Tilbilly

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2009, 10:29:00 PM »
I once asked Marc St.Louis, on behalf of someone else, about backing Jatoba. His response was that Jatoba frets VERY easily, keep the bow long and use hickory backing .
The older I get, the better I was.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©