Author Topic: My first attempt at a bamboo backed bow  (Read 938 times)

Offline ProArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
My first attempt at a bamboo backed bow
« on: April 27, 2009, 08:08:00 PM »
Hi Gang I have built a Bamboo backed bow and would like some advise. The Tiller seems to continue to change the more I draw it. I have about 2 & a half inches of set. But the real problem is the upper limb bends more in one spot the the other. I am thinking about thinning out the limbs and adding a belly to bring the weight back up.
 So what do you think.

People need to get a life. That dose not mean to take someone else’s, or to make one they can't support.

If you fish and hunt only to catch or kill something. You have MISSED THE POINT COMPLETELY.

Offline bigcountry

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: My first attempt at a bamboo backed bow
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2009, 10:21:00 PM »
Serious hinges on that one.  It looks like you need to get the limbs bending much more mid limb to the handle.  And don't draw it with those hinges like that.

Offline bjansen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2009, 10:36:00 PM »
Well it looks like a great start..here are my suggestions...you will definelty reduce the weight a bunch to get the tiller right but that would be better than a broken bow...you might be able to temper the belly to get the weight up a bit, to chop off an inch or two after you get it tillered.  

So to tiller that better, imagine more of a circular tiller (right now it is extremely eliptical).  I tried the point this out...sorry its a little sloppy (and hinge is spelled incorrectly)

Good luck

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2009, 10:53:00 PM »
Like said above get the inner limbs working more. Get the tiller right first. You can add a belly slat later and retiller to get your weight. I have successfully done it on two bows.
   What wood is your belly?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2009, 11:20:00 PM »
Yikes, those are some serious hinges.

You need a tillering gizmo.

Here is how to make one.

http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=125;t=001047

Offline ProArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2009, 08:21:00 PM »
Thanks guys I will try everything. Eric I will start on a gizmo Thanks.

Sorry I for got the question

People need to get a life. That dose not mean to take someone else’s, or to make one they can't support.

If you fish and hunt only to catch or kill something. You have MISSED THE POINT COMPLETELY.

Offline ProArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2009, 08:01:00 PM »
Ok I have 2 boards I can cut down for the belly Witch would you recommend. I have A nice piece of walnut and also a nice piece curly maple. Both have a great end grain and flat grain pattern.

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2009, 12:50:00 AM »
Find a belly wood that is strong in compression like osage or ipe.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Jeremy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2009, 08:17:00 AM »
Curly maple definitely does NOT have flat grain.  If it did, it wouldn't be curly maple.  Good for risers and veneers under glass, but not for anything that'll be working.

Get the tiller correct (and the belly flat) then add the belly wood if you really want a heavier bow.  It can be done, but it'd be easier to just make a new bow.  Like Pat said, osage or ipe would be great (you can get ipe flooring boards from most big lumber yards/hardware stores), but a really good piece of maple or even oak would be fine.  Walnut seems to be real sensitive... if the tiller isn't spot on you'll have problems.
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->
CT CE/FS Chief Instructor
"Death is not the greatest loss in life.  The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live." - Norman Cousins

Offline ProArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2009, 10:12:00 PM »
Ok guys here is a shot after retillering. What do you think?

Offline bigcountry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2009, 07:17:00 AM »
Much more to be taken off the area fades to mid limb, but better.

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2009, 09:06:00 AM »
Start with the basics.

Trim that riser down.  Get it working closer to the handle.  Think circular tiller.  After you have a few bows under your belt, you can start playing with big risers and a cut in shelf.  But you have to learn how to tiller first.  Tiller is everything in wooden bows.  EVERYTHING.

I highly recommend getting the first Traditional Bowyer's Bible.  Many libraries carry it or you can find used ones pretty cheap.     It\\'s $15.61 on Amazon Right Now!
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline ChristopherO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2009, 11:19:00 AM »
That would be a heavy duty eliptical tiller.  Meaning way over done eliptical tiller.  
John is right, it needs to bend closer to the fades.  You will probably be under draw weight by the time it is correct but that is the joys and trials of wood bow building.  The Traditional Bower's Bible 1 is seconded as the manual to go to.

Offline Cody Roiter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2009, 01:05:00 PM »
I would like to know some more info on your bow there.. Is that a all wood lam bow or is that glass and what is your core wood... What glue did you use to glue it up with....

Cody
We as archer's must keep it alive by helping others into the sport WE LOVE.

Offline ProArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2009, 03:26:00 PM »
Thanks guys I'll keep working on it.
 As for the Bibles I have vol. 1 thru 4.
Still reading 4

Cody the 3rd picture shows The Red oak and Bamboo
The glue was Titbond III

Offline ProArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2009, 09:19:00 PM »
Well I just thought I would add some more shots to see what you think.

Offline razorback

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2009, 08:05:00 AM »
Putting those clamps in the fade area will not give you a clear picture of the tiller. That bow needs to bend into that area and the clamps will stop that. Try to make a cradle that will fit the handle area and recheck the tiller. It isn't broke so still has potential. Keep working at it and a good bow will present itself.
Keep the wind in your face and the sun at your back.

Offline ProArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2009, 07:21:00 PM »
Thanks Razor but the clamps are clamped to the fence not the bow. The bow is just hanging on them.

Offline Dano

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2009, 07:46:00 PM »
Both limbs seem to bend pretty well, I just can't stand to look at that riser, it's way too long for my tastes. You did well to get the limbs evened out.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy" Red Green

Offline Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2009, 07:59:00 PM »
Still way too hingy at mid limb. I will send you a gizmo if you want one.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©