Author Topic: Solid wood limb cores?  (Read 463 times)

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
Solid wood limb cores?
« on: May 02, 2009, 11:42:00 AM »
I am new to traditional archery. I purchased a Don Dow Longbow from your classified and am really enjoying it. I am thinking about having a takedown longbow built. I know some woods are not good limb woods and but can be laminated over core woods for looks. My question is what woods make the best core woods. I like the look of highly figured woods like Bacote, Zebra, Striped Ebony etc but are they good as core woods. I have read that solid limbs like walnut and maple are more durable than laminated limbs. After a life time hunting with firearms and compound bows, this is very refreshing.

Thanks
The American system of democracy will prevail until that moment when politicians discover that they can bribe the electorate with their own money

Offline 4 point

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Solid wood limb cores?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2009, 12:40:00 PM »
Birdseye maple is a good limb wood. I have a birdseye maple and bacote Kota Killum that is the best looking bow I own and its a good shooter also. Thanks Travis

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2009, 01:24:00 PM »
I like lighter weight cores with figured veneers over them. A-boo ,red elm and walnut are all good core woods.
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2009, 01:38:00 PM »
This is part of a quote from a bow builder i am talking with. This is why I am asking questions? He seems to think solid limbs are better than laminated veneers, if I am reading this right he thinks they are more durable?

QUOTE ....Walnut or red elm limb woods, also I don't use veneers, the wood you see through the glass is the actual working wood, and because I don't use veneers, I can't use certain woods...Ebony is too brittle, zebra wood is too unstable, cocobolo is too oily... I build these bows to last, and certain woods just don't cut it very well.........Bocote is a good choice, and very nice looking, but Walnut and red elm are my best performers, that's why I recommend them, but I can do about anything you would want, although some wood is very hard to get and very expensive
The American system of democracy will prevail until that moment when politicians discover that they can bribe the electorate with their own money

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2009, 03:45:00 PM »
I build my bows mostly with four wood lams.  The outer limb faces (under the glass) can be almost any wood if kept thin.  I normally make my outer lams .060-.075 thick.  My core lams can go quite a bit over .100 each, and do most of the work.  I like either action-bamboo (laminated product), maple, or red elm for core lams.
I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©