Author Topic: Getting my feet wet/ finally some bow build pics  (Read 1016 times)

Offline Don Batten

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
Getting my feet wet/ finally some bow build pics
« on: May 05, 2009, 08:27:00 PM »
Ive built a few selfbows over the years but never tried a glass lam before. After seeing some of the build alongs on here I kinda got the itch to try. Well I met up with Ruddy(aka broketooth) and he gave me a firehose, form brackets, drum sanders, smoothon, and 3 sets of bigham plans. I put them in my shop and said " I'll get to it sometime. Well last saturday I got a call from my buddy John Dill (Kanati Quivers) and he was cleaning up his shop and said "come up and I'll give you some stuff". I went over and what he gave me was: 3 forms, about 30pcs of 3'black glass (.040) a stack of tapered actionwood laminations a 4x6 pc of honey locust about 6 feet long, several riser blocks of action wood, purple heart etc. a box of overlay material and two easton redline shafts that he had borrowed to test. they were robinhooded of course. (LOL). Well , with all this free stuff at hand and a freshly clean up shop, I'm setting out to try my hand at building one. I have a well stocked shop with bandsaw,tablesaw,jointer,spraybooth, duplacarver. Iv'e built a few guitars and mandolins so I got a good feel for working with wood. I guess I'll go for it and see what happens. I been takeing pictures and will post some as I go along. wish me luck. Don
"The older I get, the better I was" Byron Fergenson.

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Getting my feet wet/ finally some bow build pics
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2009, 08:29:00 PM »
I'll bet you do great!! Keep us posted ..

Pics????
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline broketooth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2009, 08:40:00 PM »
man i cant wait to see what you come up with don. i'll bet it will be great  :thumbsup:
" you have done well to keep your hair when so many are after it"

Offline Don Batten

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2009, 08:57:00 PM »
Kenny, I'll keep you posted. got alot of good ideas off your site.

Ruddy, thanks man.

No bow pics but here's the last two mandolins I built. these were in the finishing stage at the time.

At least there's no binding or scrolls on bows, that a pain in the butt. and you can see by the pics I'm not that good at it. DB

Offline Don Batten

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2009, 07:27:00 PM »
Well after several dry runs I finally glued up my first longbow this afternoon. It's in the oven now. I been takeing a few pics along and if it turns out, I'll get them on.
Had a time getting the fadeouts to be thin enough. When I'd pump up the hose, I could see daylight at that point. I sanded and sanded and finally did a mock glue up and put some wedges under the firehose. that seemed to take care of it, but I know there must be a problem with my form or riser fades. I'll keep in touch. Don

Offline Lewis Brookshire III

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2009, 08:46:00 PM »
Don, I play Guitar and Mandolin as well. My 8 year old son is learning to play now. Those are some GORGEOUS Mandolins you make there!!!

Do you have a website??
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose."
- Jim Elliot: Missionary/Martyr.

Offline LC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2009, 10:40:00 PM »
If you build mandolins like that I'm sure you'll do just fine building lam bows. Nice work.
Most people get rich by making more money than they have needs, me, I just reduced my needs!

Offline razorsharptokill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2009, 11:55:00 PM »
Man if you can build musical instruments you can build any bow you want I'd think!
Jim Richards
Veteran

USMC 84-88
Oklahoma Army National Guard 88-89
USMCR 89-96 Desert Storm
Oklahoma Air National Guard 2002- present. Operation Iraqi Freedom 2005(Qatar) and 2007(Iraq),
Operation New Dawn Iraq 2011,
Operation Enduring Freedom 2018 Afghanistan.
NRA Life Member.

Offline Colt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2009, 07:57:00 AM »
Don,

I love bluegrass. Those are gorgeous mandolins.

Offline Don Batten

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2009, 10:12:00 PM »
I got my first out of the oven and am in the process of cleaning it up and glueing on handle overlays. It's off a form that was given to me by John Dill. It's kinda a cross between a 21st century and Mike Treadway. I got a few pointers from Ben Graham at a 3d shoot yesterday. Ive been takeing a few pic along and plan to post them when I get a string on it. Thanks for the coments on the mandos. I don't have a website. It's just a phase I went though a couple years ago. I got 3 more started and hanging out in my shop. more later. Don

Offline Don Batten

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2009, 08:36:00 PM »
been on this off and on for couple of weeks now. First thing I did was build an oven. got the thermostat from broketooth(thanks Ruddy).

This is the form I got from John Dill. He used C clamps on it but since Ruddy had given me a firehose and brackets, I decided to make a top for it and try that method.

This next pic is the top with the pressure strip and firehose inflated.

When i did my mock glueup I had a hellava time getting the gaps tight at the fadeouts. I'd take it apart and sand and sand. This weekend I was talking to Ben Graham (hummingbird bows) about my project. after telling him a few particulars, he said " your pressure stip is too thick. John used clamps and the stip is 1/4" alum. Ben said go with a thinner strip with the firehose. Next one I will for sure. Don

Offline Don Batten

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2009, 08:43:00 PM »
Here's a few more goodies I got from John.

center section of the riser is brown action wood. here I'm sanding the fadeouts.

After several dryruns I glued it up. I used actionwood lams, and used a bow close to the weight I wanted to measure limb thickness to come up with a recipe . Here it is after the top of the form is off.

off the form. Looks kinda rad to me at this point.

more to follow

Offline broketooth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2009, 08:44:00 PM »
hey don, great pics keep goin this is gonna be a great build-a-long

Offline Don Batten

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2009, 08:47:00 PM »

Cleaned up the glue a bit on the handle area. Then I cut some riser overlays. Kinda going on trial and error here, as I have no bow here to go by.

glue up of the overlays with guitar clamps.

clamps off. looks like a gooey mess.

Offline Dano

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2009, 08:53:00 PM »
Keep up the good work, I love to watch you guy's glue these up.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy" Red Green

Offline Don Batten

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2009, 09:00:00 PM »
Cut the sight window. this stuff is tough on bandsaw blades. gonna have to spring for some carbide i guess.

I decided to cut nocks and put a string on this beast before I spent alot of time on the riser. I figured if It's gonna blow I'd rather it blow now. I stung it up at a high bace height (shortest string I had) and it looked fairly good. tiller at fade outs was almost perfect(even I shoot 3 under). I put it on my tiller board and pulled it a few times. Limbs looked to be bending even. I think my scale is off. I was unhappy when It only registered about 40lbs at 28. then I weighed 4 bows and they all weigh around 8 lbs less than marked. guess I shouldn't have left the scales out in the rain all year. If this is correct my scales are around 8 lbs light and this bow should pull , Im guessing,around 45+-. the tiller board is visible in the pic. Its at the top left over the air compressor. I use it when I make self bows. works really good. have a pulley and rope and graph on the plywood. Don

Offline Don Batten

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2009, 09:11:00 PM »

working on the handle.

back of the handle area in progress.

These last two are the last two I took tonight. been working on the grip and sight window. working around the shelf is proving to be a slow go. (any tips ?) I probaly won't work on it any more this week. Need to get ready for the NC state shoot in Hickory this weedend. I have learned alot already though. It's kinda like my dad told me when he turned me lose with my own frameing crew, many years ago. You learn a whole lot more by screwing up and haveing to fix it, than someone telling you how to do it. Thanks for looking. Don

Offline broketooth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2009, 09:20:00 PM »
wow don , you took alot of pics , very cool build-a-long! oh by the way, its lookin great  :thumbsup:

Offline John Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2009, 09:39:00 PM »
Holy Sh#$%^&#$T.......Man that thing looks awesome!!!!! You did your homework and it shows. Glad the form has been put to good use!!!! I can't wait to shoot your creation. Just in case you start taking orders......52 lbs. at 28 64 AMO Black Micarta riser with red accents and bocote lams under clear glasss for limbs. Call me for the wait time(LOL)

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2009, 10:22:00 PM »
Lookin great Don!!  :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©