Author Topic: Started a New One---Finally Finished  (Read 2052 times)

Offline Aeronut

• Trad Bowhunter
Started a New One---Finally Finished
« on: May 07, 2009, 08:25:00 AM »
I had some very scarce free time last weekend and cut and sanded some Hickory and Osage for my next project.

Going to use a core of .050" Hickory and .040" Osage lams and cover with .050" glass.  I just need to decide what wood(s) to use for a riser.

Dennis

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Started a New One---Finally Finished
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2009, 08:50:00 AM »
NICE!!  Keep us posted!!  :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2009, 09:36:00 AM »
I'm thinking something dark and figured would look outstanding.  I love the look of cocobolo with osage.  Maybe kingwood as well.  Keep us posted!
I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables!

Offline Dick in Seattle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2009, 10:27:00 AM »
coco sounds good, though with osage and hickory, you have two native woods.   Walnut, or black walnut, would keep it all native wood and provide a real nice contrast
Dick in Seattle

"It ain't how well the bow you shoot shoots, it's how well you shoot the bow you shoot."

Offline Bear

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2009, 10:34:00 AM »
I second the all native.
Twin Oaks Bowhunters
PBS Associate Member
Traditional Bowhunters of Tennessee

"just remember, you can't put the wood back on"

Offline Aeronut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2009, 01:37:00 PM »
I had to look up Kingwood, I'd never heard of it.

I've got a bunch of 2X4 & 6 Black Walnut and thought about using it with Pecan & Osage accent stripes.  Somewhere around the shed I have a small piece of Black Locust that I may have to look for.

I'll post as I go but it is going to be over a long period of time since I don't have a lot of free time.

Dennis

Offline va

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2009, 02:16:00 PM »
Aeronut -

Good to see you are still upright and taking nourishment!

You are an arrow craftsman so the bow will definitely be worth the wait.

va
Poor folk with poor ways, but rich just the same.

Offline Aeronut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2009, 07:40:00 PM »
Hi Vince, how did you fare with last Friday's storm?  We finally got the substations and relays sorted out and I got to bed at 2am Sat. morning.  Very long day.  Our linemen worked all through the weekend.

Now I have a yard full of trees and limbs to clean up.

Dennis

Offline va

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2009, 04:57:00 PM »
Hey Mr. Dennis -

We were pretty much unscathed.  Even my old fragile hackberry survived.

I'm still trying to finagle a trip to SE KS so I can buy some shafts.  I lost all the poplar before i broke them!

va

Offline Aeronut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2009, 11:21:00 PM »
I decided to go with all native woods like everyone suggested and this is the riser.  I just sanded it out tonight and it is ready to go.

Took a piece of my Black Walnut and sandwiched a strip of Hickory and Osage into it.  the strips are around 1/4" thick.

I ordered some Smooth-On and 1-1/2"X.050 glass from Kenny and got them yesterday.  May be a couple of weeks or more before I get time to get everything glued.

Dennis

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2009, 11:28:00 PM »
Lookin good Dennis!! You have a plan??  COOL!!  :D
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline Aeronut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2009, 10:19:00 PM »
I've had a couple of free evenings so I decided to spread some glue.  I put the pieces in the hotbox to warm up while I gathered everything up.  Gathering wasn't a big chore until I couldn't locate my hose.  After searhing for almost an hour I was about ready to cancel for the evening when I finally found the rascal.

The lams and riser are plenty warm so it's time to mix some Smooth-On.  Seem like every time I order this stuff it comes in a different type of can/container.

My daughter came down to the dungeon/basement so I had her snap a picture.

After getting everything taped, clamped, strapped, and aired up it was ready for the hot box.  Alcohol is great for removing Smooth-On from your hands, along with everything else in the shop that is stuck to them.  Notice the custom riser inserts.  I used this form on another bow with a different riser shape.  I need to cut an insert to fit it.

Took everything apart this evening to see what I had and sanded off all the glue boogers/blobs.  Didn't get a fresh-off-the-form shot.     :banghead:  

When we pulled a little bit of the tape off we saw a pale white streak along one edge about 1/8" wide.  It took me a while to realize that one of the Osage lams had moved sideways.  It will not affect the finished bow any because that part will be trimmed off when I taper the limbs and glue on the riseer overlays.

Riser & Belly

Hopefully I can do a little more work on it tomorrow.

Dennis

Offline Aeronut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2009, 06:27:00 PM »
I got finished with my fix-it project today so i got some more done on the bow.  I re-taped the glass and checked everything with a long string.  Looked good, even, and no twist in the limbs.

I decided to go with a 64"NTN bow so I measured everything for that.  I marked center on the bow and laid out the line with my laser level.  I stick it to my heat duct right above my head. Remember, I'm in the basement.

Next I marked out the limbs and went to the machine shed where my bandsaw and sanders are.  I saved a dull blade for my bandsaw because it would work for cutting the fiberglass.  After cutting out the limbs I sanded them down to the line.

Earlier I cut some thin Black Walnut laminations ot overlay on the front and back of the riser.  I glued them in place and everything is now back in the hotbox.

To be ontinued......

Dennis

Offline Dano

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2009, 07:51:00 PM »
Nice progress Dennis.    :thumbsup:
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy" Red Green

Offline Wind D Ranch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2009, 09:55:00 PM »
I tell ya, it's just not fair!  You have the talent to create such nice bows and I can barely fletch an arrow!    :help:  
How are you ever going to choose which bow to use on our hog hunt this winter?  :archer:
NRA Endowment Member.

"Magna est veritas sed rara" (Archers are all honorable men)  The White Company by A. Conan Doyle

Thanks for everything, dad.

Offline Wind D Ranch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2009, 09:56:00 PM »
By the way, why is your regulator on your scuba tank?  Fumes getting a little thick?
NRA Endowment Member.

"Magna est veritas sed rara" (Archers are all honorable men)  The White Company by A. Conan Doyle

Thanks for everything, dad.

Offline Aeronut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2009, 10:48:00 PM »
Naah, no fumes.  I bought a tire inflator to hook onto my BC hose and that is what I air up the hose with.  I'm probably the only bowyer that uses a 3000psi air tank to build stuff.  I wondered if anyone would notice that.

Dennis

Offline Aeronut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2009, 06:08:00 PM »
I decided to use Black Walnut and Deer antler for the tip overlays.  I have a big shed that I found with my bushhog a few years back and decided to incorporate it into some of my projects.

I used some of the leftover Walnut from the riser overlay and put the antler on top of it.  I really hate the smell of cutting and sanding antler but I like the finished product.

Back into the hotbox again........

Dennis

Offline va

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2009, 10:54:00 AM »
Aero -

You are a CRAFTSMAN.

i still plan on getting some shafts from you soon.  I'll e-mail when I get a "business" trip worked out.

va

Offline Aeronut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2009, 10:29:00 PM »
Now I start cutting string grooves and shaping the tips.  This is where I really slow down and take my time.  I don't want to screw it up at this point.

Another reason to slow down for me is I ran a toothpick sized splinter through the first joint of my second finger working on my Curly Hickory bow.   :scared:   It came off the string groove.  Wernt fun at all!

Dennis

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©