Author Topic: Well, I got a question about .. Hackberry  (Read 654 times)

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
Well, I got a question about .. Hackberry
« on: May 09, 2009, 09:48:00 PM »
I got a hold of 13 osage logs today and then I was offered a HACKBERRY. 'coarse I took it, what should I do with it? Treat it like white wood? What do you think about a "WARBOW"?
give me some Ideas and maybe some pics if you can. I will keep you all posted.
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

"Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.”
~ Francis Chan

Offline Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Well, I got a question about .. Hackberry
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2009, 11:32:00 PM »
I have never used hackberry but have seen some nice bows made with it. I'm not sure of it's characteristics though so I can't say about a war bow.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline DCM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2009, 07:28:00 AM »
It's like low density elm.  Can make a very game bow but takes some wood.  For a bow of 80# I'd want 1 1/4" in the handle and 74" ntn at least, elb shape and near full arc of tiller.  I made one perhaps 66", 50# @ 28" and it was probably 1 1/8" at the arrow pass.  Due to it's low density, it would make very good cast if you can keep a nearly straight profile.  It takes heat well.

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2009, 07:50:00 AM »
Thank guys,
   Pat, I have seen some bows as well, A couple of 'beuts.
   DCM, Thats kind of what I was thinking. I want to go 80"ntn and maybe about 70-80#. I know that a war bow would be 100#+ but I don't really plan on going to war, just shoot at the range and maybe flight shoot.
   Kinda exciting huh?
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

"Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.”
~ Francis Chan

Offline shamus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2009, 09:28:00 AM »
treat it like a whitewood.

Offline sulphur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2009, 11:39:00 PM »
its a little on the low side of density.  however it is awfully tough wood and make great recurves.  it steam bends like no other wood.  no good for a warbow though.  not that it wouldn't handle the design, but it would be wider than you would want.  make it 2" wide out of the fades for a recurve or flatbow.
Rumblin, Stumblin, Bumblin

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2009, 07:29:00 AM »
Thanks again to all.
I will let the staves cure for a bit, now I spent some time with a draw knife yesterday afternoon. Worked an older hickory stave down, to find a nice internal wind check. at least that is what I call it. One in the handle that don't bother me to bad. the one comeing out of the fade area has me wondering tho. I will try for some pics and keep you all posted. I think I will see what I can get away with on this one. Should be a good teacher, as they all are.
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

~ Francis Chan

Offline Cody Roiter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2009, 10:55:00 PM »
How the bow coming a long man.. U should bring it along this weekend if u can.....

Cody
We as archer's must keep it alive by helping others into the sport WE LOVE.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©