Author Topic: TB III for boo backed osage  (Read 926 times)

Offline Craig/FL

• Trad Bowhunter
TB III for boo backed osage
« on: May 17, 2009, 12:40:00 PM »
Will it work, I came across a board and a peice of boo I've had for several years but never but never got started on it, I use to use some purple stuff called something like resoursenol (sp?), I havent seen it around in quite a while, anyways, I've got plenty of TBlll on hand. Thanks....

Offline Cody Roiter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: TB III for boo backed osage
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2009, 01:17:00 PM »
Man I would use urac 185.. I have never had a backing come outgood with TB2 or TB3....Maybe it just me....

Cody
We as archer's must keep it alive by helping others into the sport WE LOVE.

Offline 4runr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2009, 01:25:00 PM »
I haven't had any trouble with TB III, when I cleaned things up properly. I had 1 blow after a couple hundred shots on a Hickory backed Ipe. The Ipe had questionable grain where it blew and the glue wasn't sticking to the Ipe as well as it did to the Hickory. Ipe is more oily than Osage. Just make sure you have freshly sanded the Osage before gluing, or clean it with Acetone. I prefer sanding then blowing off with compressed air.

Just my 2 cents, not questioning Cody.
Kenny

Christ died to save me, this I read
and in my heart I find a need
of Him to be my Savior
          By Aaron Shuste

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2009, 01:27:00 PM »
I have never lost a bow to glue failure using any TB glues. I use TBIII for lots of stuff including boo and hickory backings on many different belly woods, all with good results.
   It is hard to beat Urac for wood/wood(grass) glue-ups and especially if your gluing surfaces aren't perfect. Urac has good gap filling abilities. With TBIII you need two smooth(not grooved), flat, well matched surfaces for good glue-up.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline bigcountry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2009, 02:06:00 PM »
After my first glueup with IPE/Boo, I made up my mind, I am going to go with URAC.  I used TBIII, and I haven't had a problem with it.  But I hear so many good things about URAC, I plan on using it.  

I worry about the boo coming off my IPE.  Maybe its my inexperience.  

Now for osage I would feel better using TBIII.  Not near as oily.

Offline Craig/FL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2009, 03:34:00 PM »
Thanks guys, I think I'll go ahead and use the TBIII, I havent done one of these in quite a few years so this one just to get back in the groove, I'll get some URAC when I get enough material together to do a couple of these.
Can someone run through the process of how they apply the TBIII and what is the approx working time you have with it, I'm in about 80 degree high humidity weather now. Thanks, Craig

Offline Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2009, 12:30:00 AM »
Creig, TBIII has a pretty quick set up time so have everything ready to go before you start. I like to size both glue surfaces with a light coat first then another coat just before you put it together. A lot depends on your clamping system and the form you use.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Craig/FL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2009, 05:51:00 AM »
Thanks Pat,
I think I'll keep this one simple  with just some reflex, I counted my clamps last night and have 32, hopefully that be enough, I'll lay it all out before starting. I dug out my old Torges video and will watch that before getting started to refresh my memory on some things before next weekend. Thanks for your help.

Offline ChristopherO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2009, 01:49:00 PM »
I am in the proccess of sizing my hickory backing and the booflo core today with TT111.  I used it 4 times last summer with boo and osage and didn't have a problem with it except for one bow where I over tightened the clamp to force the boo backing too much due to a node at the power lam's fade.  My fault, not the glue's.
I think it is easier to size with the titebond a bit watered down.  It is thick and likes to dry out too fast whole.  Just my opinion.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©