Author Topic: I have an Osage stave.Now what?  (Read 720 times)

Offline R H Clark

• Trad Bowhunter
I have an Osage stave.Now what?
« on: May 21, 2009, 05:32:00 PM »
I need a link to a layout tutorial.In specific I need handle section dimensions and fades etc.

I have been given an Osage stave.It is about 1 1/2" by 66" and 1/2" thick on the tips.It has a thickened handle section about 1 1/2" thick that tapers back into the 1/2" thick limbs.The problem is that the handle section is not centered.The center of the handle section is 31" from one limb tip and 35 1/2" from the other.

I draw about 29" so would like to use all the length if I can adjust the center of the handle and still have enough wood.

I also need to know where the arrow shelf needs to sit in relation to the center of the bow.I have made a few equal length limbed Hickory bows and just build an arrow rest 1" above center.

Offline lablover

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: I have an Osage stave.Now what?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2009, 05:59:00 PM »
How long is your center section from fade to fade and is it one and one half inch wide the full length? If it is you could always build a D style bend thru the handle bow and forget the stiff handle section. If not you can always cut off the upper limb (long tip) until it is only an inch and a half longer then the lower limb. This now creates an asymetrical bow of 62 inches which should be long enough for your draw. If your concerned about bow length/draw length back it with rawhide. You would still place the rest in the same place on the handle it would just be on center making it swing and point easier.
Bowhunting is a passion, not an obsession. Its just hard for my wife to tell the difference sometimes.

Offline lablover

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2009, 06:01:00 PM »
Forgot to say leave the bow full width for most of the limb then taper to 1/2" in last 9" or so to get most out of bow for draw if making the asymetrical bow.
Bowhunting is a passion, not an obsession. Its just hard for my wife to tell the difference sometimes.

Offline R H Clark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2009, 06:23:00 PM »
The thick handle section is 7" long but fades very gradual. If I measure to the center 33 1/4" from both ends then go 3" toward the short side fade from that center line,the limb is still 1 1/8" thick.

Yes,it is mostly 1 1/2 wide full length and just a couple of small pin knots.One limb does have a little inward bend about mid limb but is still 1 1/8" at the narrowest spot.

Offline Bill Skinner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2009, 09:49:00 PM »
You should take that stave to the Howard Hill shoot and show it to Eric Krewson.  He is a very nice person and knows a great deal about making osage self bows.  He showed me how to set up a stave and he showed me his great "Tillering Gizmo".  Bill

Offline bigcountry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2009, 09:59:00 PM »
My layout is 4" long handle, 1.75-2" long fades, I like 1.5" wide fades, and have that stay straight for 10", and then taper to pyamid to the tips.

As far as thickness, 3/4" is good place to start.

Handle, your just going to have to shape out and see what feels good in your hand.

I have been shooting of my hand.  Seems to work well.  I make mine even tiller because I shoot 3 under.  

I am a newbie.  

TBB vol. 1 has a good overbuilt layout.  

With the handle section being so off center, you might just have to make that bow shorter and bend in the handle.

Offline lablover

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2009, 09:00:00 AM »
couldn't agree more with Bill, if anyone can get you on the right track its Eric. Its always better if you are with someone who can see whats going on and can guide you so you can see what he's talking about. Good luck

Offline R H Clark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2009, 10:30:00 AM »
Thanks Guys
I had already about decided to ask Eric if he would lend a hand.I hope to see you guys at the Hill.

Thanks
Randy

Offline lablover

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2009, 02:52:00 PM »
Wish I could but it's a long ways from Douglass, Kansas to Alabama. Maybe one of these days, but for now I save my time for hunting season.

Offline Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2009, 09:22:00 PM »
Bring your stave to the Hill shoot Randy, we will see what can be made from it.

Offline R H Clark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2009, 03:10:00 PM »
Thanks a bunch Eric.I didn't mean for this to turn into a ,let's volunteer Eric thread.A few words of advice from a master bowyer such as yourself would however help tremendously.

Robert
My thanks to you also.It would be great to have a friend such as yourself close by to lend a hand.

Offline lablover

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2009, 02:13:00 PM »
Randy
            No problem,if you ever find yourself in the neighborhood (Kansas) stop in and say hi. Eric didn't mean to volunteer ya but hey, I'v seen your work and didn't think you'd mind.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©