3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Green Arrow comics for kids?  (Read 233 times)

Offline Raineman

• Trad Bowhunter
Green Arrow comics for kids?
« on: February 07, 2008, 06:34:00 PM »
First of all, my apologies to the mods if  this is the wrong place to ask this.

I had seen in the white elephant thread that someone got a Green Arrow comic book. I had never heard of them.

My son is 11 and loves to shoot with me. He has is own vintage Grizzly (that is nicer than about anything I have) and just loves it. He has some problems reading and his teachers suggested some type of comic books may help.

My question is, are these Green Arrow comics appropriate for kids? I see a ton of them on the auction site, but I know nothing about them. Any comments would be appreciated.

Offline kurtbel5

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Green Arrow comics for kids?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2008, 07:34:00 PM »
Raineman,
I dont know whats acceptable,Green arrow, I sorta remember as similar to any of the super hero types
Green lantern, Capt America, good vs evil.If you find out that this something you would like for your boy please let me know.I would like to send him a couple of whatever you decide would work, I live around the corner from a big comic book store.I can also go ask my son (12) what comics are good.
    Kurt Bellefeuille
  PS Thank You for the bow site

Online The Whittler

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2008, 08:15:00 PM »
I remember reading Green Arrow when I was a youngin and they were like Kurtbel5 said, he was a super hero.

I have not seen the new ones (if there are any), so I can't comment. Get one and read it yourself.

I wouldn't mind reading some myself.

Alan

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2008, 08:38:00 PM »
This link  http://www.popmatters.com/comics/green-arrow.shtml  might give you a feeling for it.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline PurpleCajun

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2008, 02:30:00 AM »
I've been trying to decide if I'd say it was "appropriate" for an eleven year old.  Ultimately, I've come to the conclusion that I can't tell you.  Green Arrow comics are a little different than most, but not by a whole lot.  They do tangle with some more mundane and "real" issues than most (for instance, his current sidekick has a sorted past, and there is detail about it in some books).  However, I think it'd be up to the individual child.

Here's what I'd suggest.. Stay away from the Mike Grell issues (they're excellent, but definitely not very child-appropriate).  Judd Winick, who is currently writing the "Green Arrow and Black Canary" title is a much different author though.  I'd suggest that you head over to a bigger book store that carries graphic novels and look for some of his Trade Paperbacks.. then read some for yourself. I know that both Borders and Barnes and Noble carry them, so that might be the best way to see if you, yourself approve of them.  The Trade Paperbacks are basically just collections of past comics, and a good way to read an entire story.

Some writers are different than others.. so the comic's maturity will change. Meltzer's "The Archer's Quest" (Green Arrow book 3) is excellent, and I'd see no problem with giving that to an 11 year old.  But some of Winick's books might be a little different.  

In any case.. They do talk about Archery a fair deal in some books.  It's a neat way to read about a comic character who shares your interests.  I'm just a big kid when I read about it... Of course, the day I shoot my longbow as well as Ollie does.. I'll be the coolest guy in the world.

Offline Raineman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2008, 08:55:00 AM »
Thanks folks, that is some great info. That is the kind of detail I was looking for. As always, I do monitor what he reads, not just for content, but to make sure it will not be too difficult for him, and actually help him instead of frustrate him. I think I'll start a hunt for that Archers Quest #3 that purplecajun (lots of great info there cajun) suggested. I never was really in to comics, but I guess thats about to change for my boys' sake.

kurtbel, no need to go out of your way, but if your boy has 1 or 2 recommendations that he'd want to pass on, by all means, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again to the mods, I hope this was not too off base.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©