3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: When do you find time to shoot?  (Read 685 times)

Offline BleekLight

• Trad Bowhunter
When do you find time to shoot?
« on: February 07, 2008, 08:16:00 PM »
Sorry I don't know if this has already been asked but at my other jobs I would always shoot after work or on the weekends. But I just got a new job starting this monday, I will be working 10 hours a day 7 days a week, and as of yet I don't know if thats permanent or just until the order is filled. I was just wandering when the rest of you found time to shoot your bows with your bizzy lifestyles.
---------------------------------
I shot an arrow into the air,
It fell to earth, I knew not where;
For, so swiftly it flew, the sight
Could not follow it in its flight.

Offline La. bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: When do you find time to shoot?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2008, 08:23:00 PM »
I work shift work so I have a good bit of time off during the day but occasionally we get hung working long hours so my remedy is that I put my block target under the night light in the yard and shoot it under the lights at night.

But I also live a little farther south than you do so the cold temps dont bother me as much as it probably does you. Good luck figuring something out.
La. Bowhunter trad archery addict

Offline Ramsey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2008, 08:24:00 PM »
I work 10s so I shoot at lunch and at night

Offline jrchambers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2008, 08:30:00 PM »
boy with those hours you wont get much time to hunt even if you find the time for practice,  i feel bad for you,  i am curently shooting more than i shoud as i am curently unemployed.  not by choice though

Offline Lechwe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2008, 08:32:00 PM »
I shoot for 10-15 minutes at 5:30 every morning and then I try for another 10-15 minutes every night.

Offline BleekLight

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2008, 08:37:00 PM »
Thanks for the responses I will probably have to do what ramsey does.At least when it warms up a little any way. Luckily I am starting work on first shift and will get off about 4:00 pm so I will have light for a few hours. Just if I'm not to tired from working that is lol. If I have to I will take a nap and do what L.A bowhunter said and but my target under my street light in my yard. Any other responses would be appreciated I am just trying to figure out what every body else does.
---------------------------------
I shot an arrow into the air,
It fell to earth, I knew not where;
For, so swiftly it flew, the sight
Could not follow it in its flight.

Offline Ramsey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2008, 09:39:00 PM »
The cold not a big deal I shoot in the wood shop at lunch when the boss is gone at night I just grin and bare it  :bigsmyl:                                                      BILLY

Offline SOS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2008, 09:43:00 PM »
I grab my bow and try to get 20 or so shots in right after I pull in the driveway each evening.  Have been known to shoot under the flood lights.

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2008, 09:58:00 PM »
weekends, thats it during fall and winter. summer i can shoot at night a little when i get home from work.
I go by many names but Daddy is my favorite!
listen to everyone,FOLLOW NO ONE!!
if your lucky enough to spend time in the mountains...then your lucky enough!
What ever befalls the Earth befalls the sons of the Earth.

Offline longbowben

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2008, 10:37:00 PM »
15 to 30 minutes every day before work YES I HAVE A PROBLEM.
54" Hoots 57@28
60" MOAB 60@28
Gold tip, 160gr Snuffer
TGMM Family of the Bow
USAF 90-96 69TH Bomb Squadron

Offline Labs4me

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2008, 10:41:00 PM »
I keep an excelsior bale and shooting range in the basement year round and put several 3-D targets out back from April until about a week before  gun season opens (always concerned that some Bubba will start shooting first and identifying later).

In preparation for a bear hunt this fall, I've been shooting about a dozen arrows each night, Monday-Friday, with an emphasis placed on form. I also try to get out rabbit "hunting" with my Lab, Huck at least three or four nights a week after work. I don't typically take many shots on our hunts - it's more of a walk through the woods for the sake of getting some exercise -  unless we come across an unusually dumb rabbit or a liberal looking stump.

During the summer, my wife and I both shoot most every night while the burgers, salmon or chicken is cooking on the grill. We keep our bows and our quivers full of arrows on the wall of our great room, right next to the doorwall that leads to the patio. In this manner, it's nearly impossible for me to walk past my bows during the summer months without flinging at least a few arrows each day.

I imagine some day, a couple hundred years from now, while digging a new foundation for a house, someone will arrive at the concluson that an indian battle must have taken place in my yard based on all the arrows that will be unearthed.
   :goldtooth:      :biglaugh:
"You must not only aim right, but draw the bow with all your might." - Henry David Thoreau (Before the advent of compound bows with 85% letoff)

Offline Moooseran

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2008, 10:52:00 PM »
Im retired and can shoot when ever I want. Indoor range 20 yds my basement......

Offline longbowben

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2008, 10:58:00 PM »
20 yard indoor range nice, im stuck outside in the rain and snow freezing my fat ass off.
54" Hoots 57@28
60" MOAB 60@28
Gold tip, 160gr Snuffer
TGMM Family of the Bow
USAF 90-96 69TH Bomb Squadron

Offline Arwin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2008, 11:13:00 PM »
I shoot everyday in my basement. It's about 10 yds or slightly more. If I can get out, I like to stump shoot. Back when we lived in a trailer, I'd shoot down the hallway into our bedroom when nobody else was home. The wife would skin me if I tried that now!  :scared:
Just one more step please!

Some dude with a stick and string chasing things.

Offline DEAN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2008, 07:48:00 AM »
I QUIT WORK!!!!!!
TGMM Family of the Bow
Comptons Traditional Bowhunter

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2008, 10:01:00 AM »
"10 hours a day, 7 days a week."   And we call the Chinese slave laborers?  8^)..
Did you apply for that position?  Yikes.

Seriously, I did a lot of years in retail management that left little for "my time."  Down the road of years you may decide it wasn't such a great move.  I hope it works well for you and you stay healthy.  Don't forget yourself and your family.

Offline Schafer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2008, 10:38:00 AM »
i shoot down my stairs it is about a 10-13 yards but it works great and it helps a little with treestand shots
“There’s more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.” - Fred Bear

53@29 Randy Morin Banshee
66@29 Schafer Silvertip

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2008, 10:49:00 AM »
I shoot from my living room out through the family room out in to the kitchen. I get 13 yards when I sit on the back of the couch. I have dogs, so I let them out and lock the back door. Even if ya have to shoot in a room of 15-20 ft. ya can practice form and such. Make time and make do!! Shawn
Shawn

Offline Big'n

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2008, 11:23:00 AM »
I don't FIND time to shoot, I MAKE time to shoot! It has to be a priority. I'm not casting dispersions. I realize everyone has to make a living, but shooting trad equipment isn't a necessity, It's a choice.

How bad do you want it?    DAVE
"If you want just one thing too much in life....Your life will likely be a disappointment" Augustus McCrae

Offline Angus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2008, 12:02:00 PM »
We all need to shoot, but as a coach, I'd like to remind everybody to practice perfection, not just practice!  10 minutes of flawless form is better than an hour of "flinging".  I wonder what would happen if we thought of ourselves as athletes as well as archers, and included form drills in our other workouts.  How many of us do that now?
Traditional Bowhunters of Washington

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©