Author Topic: reducing holmegaard design  (Read 442 times)

Offline JDP12

• Trad Bowhunter
reducing holmegaard design
« on: June 22, 2009, 11:03:00 PM »
After reading this excellent article on holmegaards found here-   http://www.fiarc.org/public/Forum/Data/jeval/2005102714414_Tillering%20the%20Holmegaard%20Bow-2.pdf  

I have a few questions.  Since they say that the original design is closer to 70 inches, what would be the best way to reduce the ORIGINAL design done by Callahan to a 62-64 inch length?

I want to keep it as close to the original done by Callahan as possible, but in a slightly shorter length, considering I am only 5'6".  

Any recommendations on how to shrink the original dimensions to fit a slightly shorter design?

Could i just use simple proportions?  I.e. original length over dimension equals desired length over necessary dimension?  Or would that not work

Thanks
-JDP-

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: reducing holmegaard design
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2009, 11:31:00 PM »
I would imagine the original Holmegaard bow was made with elm or yew wood. Your wood choice will make a difference in the limb profile you use, whether it is narrower, shorter or both.
By making the bow bend through the handle you could eliminate 8" to 10" and still have the same amount of working limb.
   Unless you are trying to duplicate the original you could use the design principles of the Holmegaard with consideration to your wood characteristics and make a very effective bow. Most of the flat bows I make these days have Holmegaard tendencies with narrow, thick tips. by going this route I can eliminate some of the physical weight of the tips(non bending) without reducing the strength.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline dutchwarbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2009, 01:35:00 PM »
callahan did an exact replica, and didn't really tiller it, much more compared the taper of his bow to the taper on the original one, in order to archieve an as correct-possible replica.

I suggest you make yours with similar dimensions, but like 66" long, wich suits better to your length, and is a little safer.

I wouldn't want to mess too much with the dimensions. 1 1/2" - 2" wide limbs are usually okay for whitewoods, if you make it 5% shorter, you might want to make it 5% wider, wich is a few strokes with your rasp. Nothing to worry about.

The holmegaards were mostly elm, the 2nd. favorite wood of the nativve europeans. The first was yew, ofcourse.

Nick
in the old days religion had it's use to keep nations together. Today, religion tears nations apart.

Nick

Offline JDP12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2009, 03:43:00 PM »
OK- yea i'm using a hickory board.

I think i'll go with a 66" and make the dimensions similar to the original, and do what dutch said about percents and such.  If i go wide i can always go thinner lol.
-JDP-

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©