Author Topic: Early Retirement of A "Friend"  (Read 1100 times)

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Early Retirement of A "Friend"
« on: June 27, 2009, 06:44:00 AM »
During practice last week (or I guess the week before), my Osage bow "It" , which I've been shooting for two hunting seasons and was in my third 3D season, gave a little groan on the first shot. I didn't really think the scarey noise could be from my beloved first Osage bow but I gave it a glance over, and saw nothing amiss and the shot had been spot on. As I drew for my second shot, "It" groaned twice, most pitiousy. I let down without releasing, and looked again. I saw the lower limb was at an awkward 45 degree angle, towards the shooter, about half way down - right where I had repaired an accidental back violation, caused last year by a sliding ice chest, in the back of a friends truck. Sure enough, the wood had fully colapsed where it had been surface-crushed by that incident, and I had patched it with deer sinew and painted a Deer ("standing in tall grass") over the sinew. Damn, I loved that bow. I relieved her of her string (pressure). I later put the string on my Dano Osage bow, "Sneaky Snake". Now, "It" is a wall hanger, with fond memories. Geeze, I miss her constant, reassuring company during practice, although my Dano bow is standing in her place with pride and understanding tenderness, it seems to me.

You may recall last years repair job, which at least gave "It" an extra year of honorable service:

"It"'s new retirement place of honor:

Bernie: "Hunters Are People Too"

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

Traditional Bow Shooters of West Virginia (Previously the Official Dinosaur Wrangler, Supporter, and Lifetime Honorary Member)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline 4runr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Early Retirement of A "Friend"
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2009, 06:50:00 AM »
Sorry for your loss Bernie.

Look at the bright side, you get to start a new "relationship" with another pretty thing, you may get to experience new heights of bliss never dreamed of!
Kenny

Christ died to save me, this I read
and in my heart I find a need
of Him to be my Savior
          By Aaron Shuste

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline broketooth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2009, 07:14:00 AM »
bernie, i know how you feel. i remember all too well when i discovered the bottom limb cracked on my hickory self bow of 13 yrs. that was a good shootin bow. she is now in retirement.lookin foward to shootin with you again bernie regards ruddy
" you have done well to keep your hair when so many are after it"

Offline Dano

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2009, 10:49:00 AM »
Selfbows give us great enjoyment as well as pain, Kinda like an ex-wife. I hope "Sneaky Snake" takes care of ya.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy" Red Green

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2009, 11:36:00 AM »
Too bad about your old companion, Bernie as you know, all things must pass!  You can still remember the good times every time you look at her. I'm sure you will get as much pleasure out of Sneaky Snake as you do the man that made her.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2009, 12:18:00 PM »
Thanks to all of you (we've all been there, eh?). Sneaky Snake is a great bow. I hunted and shot with it for one year, before I made "It" (Truth be known, SS is the better made bow - even in my own opinion - but don't tell Dano I said so -LOL)

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

Traditional Bow Shooters of West Virginia (Previously the Official Dinosaur Wrangler, Supporter, and Lifetime Honorary Member)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Dano

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2009, 03:06:00 PM »
I hear nothing!!!   :bigsmyl:
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy" Red Green

Offline bigcountry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2009, 05:07:00 PM »
Bernie, is that the one I got to hold last year at the baltimore classic?  She was a beauty.

Offline copperhead95

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2009, 08:39:00 PM »
:(  Sorry about your bow, I know she will be missed by everyone who knew her.

Ian    :archer:
47# 56" Anneewakee Addiction recurve
"Don't tread on me!"

Offline Don Batten

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2009, 10:42:00 PM »
Bernie, the best way to get over a bow is to make another.  I was gonna pull John's trailer home with me today, but you know John, the tags expiered in may of 07. LOL. he's gonna get new ones and meet me half way next week. we'll have plenty of room for your cargo. All we got to do is set up his tent for him. That boy always has an angle. Don
"The older I get, the better I was" Byron Fergenson.

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2009, 07:41:00 AM »
I hear ya, Dano - LOL. YesThat is the one bigcountry, and thank you. Thank you too, Ian.

Don, this time John's "angle" will be justly due - LOL. I appreciate, both of you, "mustering" to my aid, for the kids at ATAR (waiting for their Dino prizes). I do have another Osage stave that friend Linc sent me, that I've been wanting to get to. However it has (paper) thin rings and I am dragging my (inexperienced) feet about tackling it, for fear of ruining what appears to be a mighty nice stave. In the meantime, I think I will put a similar red feather (as is on "It", I have a small bag of them from fly tieing days) on my Dano bow now - kinda got used to that (for wind indication and decoration) hanging there. Other folks are used to seeing it too -   ;)   I may even break down and put my NA designs on SS's back too. (Is that Kosher to do to a bow that a dear friend made especially for me ... Dano?)

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Dano

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2009, 10:05:00 AM »
Bernie, anything you do to decorate or make that bow more useful is OK with me. Those thin rings on the stave Linc gave ya just take more patience and gentle scraping, I know you have the patience, the experience only comes from doin as you know.   ;)

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2009, 03:45:00 PM »
"Patience and gentle Scraping", eh? I think I can at least stand a chance of doing that  (since i tend to be a little scared of it anyway - LOL). When you (I assume) wind up with such a thin layer for a back, does it make for a "weaker" back, i.e. one more suseptible to violation by dings, etc.??

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2009, 04:01:00 PM »
Bernie, I love thin ringed osage but back them with rawhide "just in case"! I've never had a thin ringed osage blow on me so I guess it works well. I hope I didn't jinx myself with that last statement!
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2009, 09:13:00 PM »
Rawhide, huh - that'd be a new "move" for me, for sure, Pat.

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline George Tsoukalas

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2009, 10:07:00 PM »
That's a tough one, Bernie. You worked hard on that bow. But that;s a good reason to make another one. Jawge

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2009, 09:03:00 AM »
Yes, Jawge, I guess I had kind of looked forward to "growing old" with that particular bow but, "the best laid plans of men ... etc." I really did need to get back to making other bows, and maybe "It" or the "bow spirits" sensed that. I've been so slack lately (except for reading).

So let's see - what do we "scrape" those thin ringed Osage rascals with, steel wool   :D    ;)

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Dano

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2009, 09:53:00 AM »
Steel wool would work    :biglaugh:    :rolleyes:

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2009, 11:44:00 AM »
It probably would for you, Dano - you "got da touch"   :thumbsup:

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Dano

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2009, 12:15:00 PM »
More like "touched"    ;)

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©