Author Topic: Tech info for design  (Read 440 times)

Online DWT

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Tech info for design
« on: July 01, 2009, 08:24:00 AM »
I want to build a glass lam bow and have never done so. I would like to here some bowyer opinions on where to find design info. I dont just want to build a cookie cutter bow but would like to know the 'why' of design. Or should I just try a binghams style kit to go through the motions on the first one. Im a very mechanical person and have done quite a bit of wood working and have the equipment.I guess my question is stay with something that has been done 1000 times or venture into my own creation and run with it.Regards, Don.

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Tech info for design
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2009, 10:44:00 AM »
I would suggest starting off with some thing very mild mannered, like a straight profile longbow.  You will have the best chance of creating something nice that you can use.  If you go too radical, you will run into problems that you aren't equiped to handle yet.  There are many that can help you with your recipe of lams stack dimensions for a straight one.
I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables!

Offline Pennsyltuckey pete

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Tech info for design
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2009, 10:30:00 PM »
I have to agree with what Apex said. I started with a Reflex Deflex designed by 3 rivers as my first. No problems that I couldn't handle.  I then went on to recurves and takedowns after I had my feet wet.  I have since designed my own hybrid longbow and recurve taking things I liked from different bows and putting them all together.  I will say that developing my own bows has taught me that regardless of how I try, the first one is going to be way heavy or way light in regards to my target weight so plan on building a few.   :knothead:  

pete
Love one woman, Many Bows

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©