Author Topic: wood core /backing combos for elb  (Read 495 times)

Offline Brent Hill

• Trad Bowhunter
wood core /backing combos for elb
« on: July 03, 2009, 03:42:00 PM »
I have made a few flatbows out of hikory and ipe but I have been taken by a cheap bamboo/ osage elb that I bought at the Texas Longbow shoot a few years back.  It shoots better than any of my flatbows and I am now wanting to build my own.  I plan to draw 50 at 28,  69 to 72 inches long, and want to back it with either bamboo or hickory or linen, and have a core of either hickory, osage, ipe or ash, which ever is better.  I do plan to hunt with it and want to know which combo of backing and core wood would perform the best for a narrow profiled elb with the least amount of handshock.  Any suggestions recommended.  Thanks Bhill

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: wood core /backing combos for elb
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2009, 04:15:00 PM »
Brent, The osage or ipe would be your best bet. Both are strong in compression and can easily handle the boo or hickory backings.  One inch to 1 1/8" at the handle and out about 12" then taper to 3/8" tips. If you are going to make horn nocks don't go much smaller than that. If not, you can reduce the width of the tips(after tillering is done) to reduce physical weight without reducing the strength. Tip weight is one of the main causes for hand shock.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Brent Hill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2009, 05:06:00 PM »
Which backing would you prefer ?   The bamboo always struck me as kinda ugly but I've never used a hickory backing.  I'm leaning towards hickory, but not sure.  I am also thinking about horn knocks but the tip weight is a concern.  Thanks

Offline dutchwarbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2009, 06:30:00 PM »
bamboo sure is unbeatable in tensile strength. Good grained hickory should also work well on osage/ipé. But I'd go for boo on your huntingbow. It's indestructable  ;)

Nick
in the old days religion had it's use to keep nations together. Today, religion tears nations apart.

Nick

Offline Jesse Peltan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2009, 06:45:00 PM »
Bamboo can be stained to be less ugly. Imo its not ugly raw, stained, etc. I think it looks nice on a bow.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©