Author Topic: Bandsaw blade  (Read 522 times)

Offline Moen

• Trad Bowhunter
Bandsaw blade
« on: July 10, 2009, 08:10:00 PM »
You guys, who use bandsaw to cut out glass bows. What blade are you use? I have only blades for wood. And its gone after one bow...
Never believe that you are worthless .... you can always be used as a bad example!

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bandsaw blade
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2009, 08:59:00 PM »
you need a carbide tip saw blade, or, a belt sander. I have used a table saw with a carbide blade. that is kind of spooky for me though.
Chuck-
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

"Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.”
~ Francis Chan

Offline Kanga

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2009, 09:59:00 PM »
I switched from a band saw to the belt sander to profile the limbs.

I can get a ton of belts for the cost of a good carbide tip blade.

Offline Robertfishes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2009, 10:08:00 PM »
I just got started and have only made one recurve. On advise from others on this site I bought a carbide tip band saw blade. I did not use it to cut the limbs, I used a 6" x 48" belt sander and it only took a few minutes to sand to the lines. I did use the band saw to cut the shelf and grip section in my dymondwood riser which did have fiberglass in it. After using the belt sander on the limbs I don't think I'll ever use a band saw on the limbs. I got my blade from "Bandsaw Blades Inc". I bought a cheap($37) hand held electric belt sander (1/2" x 9" belt size) from Harbor Fr@%ht and found it to be handy for shaping the grip and limb tips.

Offline Moen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2009, 08:27:00 AM »
Two Tracks: I have use my tablesaw for my latest bows. And yes, its spooky. But i dont feel i get good control on lines with it.
Must try out carbide tip blade...
Never believe that you are worthless .... you can always be used as a bad example!

Offline Tom Leemans

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2009, 09:23:00 AM »
If you use a belt sander, try the blue Alumina Zirconia planer belts from Klingspor. It's what I always bought for doing the rattan kids bows. They are agressive and they last a very long time. They have all the way down to 24 grit, so you'd get rid of material fast.

If you are going to do lots of bows, I'd consider carbide, but they are expensive! A lot of guys I know buy a decent blade and throw it away after a couple bows. Just part of what it takes.
Got wood? - Tom

Offline mater

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2009, 07:49:00 PM »
get metal cutting blades

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©