Author Topic: Tools (HELP)  (Read 633 times)

Offline BOWHUNTIN FOOL

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Tools (HELP)
« on: July 15, 2009, 05:44:00 AM »
My brother inlaw and I are going to attend a bow biulding class in August. The instructions read that we need to bring scrapers and files. What kind of scrapers and files?

Thanks
Thanks
     Joe

"Love and Live Life to its Fullest"

Bowhunters of South Carolina (Distric 6 Rep)
Palmeto Archery Federation (member)
Lake Marion Archery Club (member)
->>>---TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Offline tah-gah-jute

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Tools (HELP)
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2009, 06:32:00 AM »
i like to use a farrier's rasp,works really good.i'll use some large kitchen knives for a scraper,but when i get closer to ring for bow back,or closer to finished bow will use cabinet scrapers,the gooseneck scrapers are really handy for working around knots or any tight spots.like to use a 5/32" chainsaw file for putting in nocks.wish you good success on your bow class.

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2009, 07:08:00 AM »
Ask your host what to bring.
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

"Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.”
~ Francis Chan

Offline ALW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2009, 09:30:00 AM »
I'm fairly new to bow making but heres the tools I use most:
-Stanley Surform for hogging off wood
-A Nicholson wood rasp
-A 4-way rasp
-Several scrapers I made from an old table saw blade (you can cut them out with a Dremel and file them to any shape you want)

I use a drawknife as well for chasing a ring on locust and osage and for hogging wood off.  Just be careful with it since you can ruin a stave quickly if you get a little careless.  If you are using whitewood you won't have to chase a ring.  If osage then a drawknife will let you chase a ring.  You should be able to pick up a variety of wood rasps for a reasonable price.

Aaron

Offline bigcountry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2009, 02:00:00 PM »
You need a Nicholson 49 file.  I know they are expensive but well worth it. (I love mine) A cheaper alternative is a 4 in file by nicholson they sell at lowes or home depot.  They will get you thru the class.

Scrapers are easy and cheap.  One that is curved and one that is straight is all you need.
Some love ferriers rasps and others hate em, but I love em for floor tiller only.  IMO, you need a draw knife too.   I get mine on ****.  I have got junk and I have got gems on there.  

I have this set of scrapers from woodcraft.  You really need a burnisher also.  But if you know anyone with a metalshop, they can cut you a piece of hardened steel from sawblades or something and get you a burr on it and makes a top notch scraper.

http://www.woodcraft.com/product.aspx?ProductID=147419&FamilyID=20022

Offline BOWHUNTIN FOOL

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2009, 08:34:00 PM »
Thanks for the info guys. Cant wait for the class.

Thanks
Thanks
     Joe

"Love and Live Life to its Fullest"

Bowhunters of South Carolina (Distric 6 Rep)
Palmeto Archery Federation (member)
Lake Marion Archery Club (member)
->>>---TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Offline elkslayer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2009, 04:19:00 PM »
I use a bowyers edge
Stanly #80 cabinet scraper
Nicholas rasp
chain saw file for nocks.
Pocket knife for scraping.

Offline Tom Leemans

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2009, 02:59:00 PM »
Take several different grits of sandpaper too. I like it for when things get close. I like the 3M Sandblaster stuff, preferrably the thin spongy pads.
Got wood? - Tom

Offline bmgarto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2009, 10:35:00 PM »
Sandblaster sandpaper is great. Here is the best scraper; a pair of scissors. Get the kind you can take apart and you have two scrapers. Get a scissor sharpener and you can keep them sharp all the time. It is hard to sharpen cabinet scrapers.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©