Author Topic: Where/how to get started.  (Read 758 times)

Offline Chester Thompson

• Trad Bowhunter
Where/how to get started.
« on: July 15, 2009, 01:24:00 PM »
Ok with money being tight I decided to try and finish the bow stave that I won from Chuck at Two Tracks.

I am at work and don't have pictures right now but I can provide them tonight. I have tired to read a lot of the  post here and a lot of ends up being stuff that I don't understand because I have never do it.

I think that a lot of the basic shaping has been done and all that I really need to do is tiller the weight down to where I need it. How do I go about doing that and what tools do I need? Are there any good links or walkthroughs video's that you can point me to that have accurate not to technical info? I can't afford to buy any books or vidoe's right now and the local libraries are not any help.

I have a belt sander, files and rasps at home, and I have a few cabinet marker friends that I can borrow some tools from.

Thanks so much,

Chester
Ask me about CTO.

Offline No-sage

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Where/how to get started.
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2009, 02:31:00 PM »
I'm sure Chuck will chime in here and be glad to help.

What type of a blank is it?  Fiberglass backed or a selfbow, natural backed bow?

That info would be required to give you any good info.

Offline Chester Thompson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2009, 03:56:00 PM »
It is a Hickory Backed Osage. Sorry I even knew that was important to tell.
Ask me about CTO.

Offline dutchwarbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2009, 04:15:00 PM »
grab a nice rasp, file, scraper and chainsawfile(for nocks) and you'll be ready for this adventure.

nick
in the old days religion had it's use to keep nations together. Today, religion tears nations apart.

Nick

Offline Chester Thompson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2009, 04:24:00 PM »
What is a scraper? Can I find one at a local hardware store or it is specialty item?
Ask me about CTO.

Offline Dano

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2009, 06:11:00 PM »
Here's a link for cabinet scrapers.

http://woodworker.com/scraper-blades-mssu-810-145.asp
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy" Red Green

Offline Chester Thompson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2009, 11:59:00 PM »

I finally got to get some pictures, so where do I start?
Ask me about CTO.

Offline Hermann From Bavaria

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2009, 01:36:00 AM »
is it floortillered already?
in past even the future was better, so what do you want?

Offline Chester Thompson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2009, 08:32:00 AM »
That I don't know really, please explain it more or ask for pictures of where and what I need to look for and I will provide them.
Ask me about CTO.

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2009, 09:29:00 AM »
Good morning, I put 004/in. taper in the osage, so it is not floor tillered but it is close.
   Do you have a tiller stick and/or a tiller tree(w/rope&pully)?
   When I built my first self bow years ago, I had no clue on how to do it. so after much fretting and scratchin I decided to make my stick look like a bow. I had no help or books so that was my option. We lived in Montana at the time and I built it in our 16'x20' cabin with no bench/vise or sandpaper. only had a GIANT rasp.
   If you have access to wingnuts dvd that will give you a good lesson or maybe someone knows about the build alongs on tradgang.
   I have left some extra meat in the handle for you to customize your handle. you want to be very careful at the fade out area.(handle meets belly wood). Then produce a nice arc or bend from tip to tip. keep it a little stiffer in the handle area and maybe a little stiff for 4"-6" of tip. You may want to narrow the tip a bit (if you need to.) Hows it sound so far?
Chuck
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

"Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.”
~ Francis Chan

Offline Chester Thompson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2009, 10:11:00 AM »
No tiller tree or stick, but from what I have seen that should be pretty easy to make. I guess that I will just have to get started.
Ask me about CTO.

Offline Steve Kendrot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2009, 11:40:00 AM »
Two things... You can't learn to swim till you jump in the pool, and chances are above average that you will ruin that bow. So quit worrying about it and learn what you can from doing it. Proceed slowly and take pictures. Folks here will steer you back on track.

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2009, 03:32:00 PM »
Steve is a matter of fact guy eh? I like that. well said. I am sure that with the help the gangers will give, you will make a shootable bow. the talent on this site is tremedous.
  Keep us posted Chester, I gotta go mow my grass but I will be back.
Chuck
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

"Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.”
~ Francis Chan

Offline Dano

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2009, 06:10:00 PM »
After ya get a tree built, I round the edges of the hickory before you start bending it too much. I'd put around a 1/4" round over.
Here's some plans for a tiller tree that Tim Flood put together a while back.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy" Red Green

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©