Author Topic: lammie glues  (Read 429 times)

Offline bwhntrjsh

• Trad Bowhunter
lammie glues
« on: July 27, 2009, 10:32:00 PM »
I am new to the laminate world and am interested in doing an all wood bow, what kind of glue is recommended.  Is there anything i might be able to find local, Lows or home dump or maybe a wheel bow shop?
Thanks so much

Offline JPS

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: lammie glues
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2009, 11:16:00 PM »
For an all wood bow or a bamboo backed bow its hard to beat tite bond 3 for ease of use.You can buy it at most stores like lowes. Urac, smooth on, and resorcinol are great but you might have to order it and they require mixing. I have heard tb glues will hold up to the high strain designs such as short r/d bows but for me if its anything other than adding a backing with just a little induced reflex I use one of the other 3 I mentioned. Not that tb wont work its just a matter of what I trust the most. Stay away from the gorilla glue that foams up.
For tip overlays super glue gel works great.

Offline Hermann From Bavaria

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2009, 01:52:00 AM »
i use the smooth on epoxy. after assembling the lams i bake it in a heatbox with about 80 degrees celsius. it works great on extreme r/d bows, recurves.

greets
in past even the future was better, so what do you want?

Offline Moen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2009, 02:23:00 AM »
i use West System Epoxy, and hotbox (80-90 d celsius) I have made lot of bows with it, glass and allwood, and never had failure. But i MUST use hotbox with the West System! After assembling, you must let the bow rest in roomtemprature for 1-2 hours before you start the hotbox cure. After 3-5 hours, i take it out from the box, and let the bow cool down. If you put the bow directly in heat, or dont use hotbox, you can get failure. (delamination)
Never believe that you are worthless .... you can always be used as a bad example!

Offline bwhntrjsh

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2009, 02:20:00 PM »
thanks again fellas i think i might try the tb on my first just for grins, but i would like to check in to the epoxies for future use.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©