Author Topic: Osage stave-Thoughts?  (Read 442 times)

Offline raghorn

• Trad Bowhunter
Osage stave-Thoughts?
« on: July 28, 2009, 11:03:00 AM »
This stave is 82" long and has a 4" backset. Does it seem a bit narrow and thin(front to back). Because of the tight grain I'm planning on a bamboo backing. I did a boo backed over ten years ago but it was a RH, a great shooting bow- all my friends really liked it. But I shoot LH now so this is my project.I believe I am going to have to add wood to the grip. I plan on cutting it down to 64" to remove a couple of big knots toward both ends. It should have about 2" backset then. I  have a goal of 50#-55#.

Offline Dano

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Osage stave-Thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2009, 12:11:00 PM »
I think it'll make a dandy bow. I've worked thinner rings on unbacked bows in the past, from the looks of the rings on that stave, I don't think I'd back it. But, backed with bamboo it oughta be a screamer.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy" Red Green

Offline Dean Marlow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2009, 12:47:00 PM »
Looks like to me you could go either way on that stave. Backed or unbacked. Take the bark and sap off and see what you got left. It ought to be a smoker. Dean
Dean Marlow

Offline D. Devall

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2009, 12:56:00 PM »
yup. ought to be a fast one. keep us updated.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2009, 01:04:00 PM »
Good looking stave-you may want to save the backing decision till later-sinew when done right is great too.

Offline Hermann From Bavaria

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2009, 02:55:00 PM »
hey raghorn,

if i can trust my eyes (pics not so clear), i would take the 5th ring as back (if the stave is not too narrow). if necessary i´d glue a handle on. but 50-55# should be possible i think.
have fun with it!

greets
in past even the future was better, so what do you want?

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©