Author Topic: filing shelf  (Read 479 times)

Online pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
filing shelf
« on: August 02, 2009, 08:12:00 PM »
I've got a wing slim line pro that, for whatever reason, has the highest point of the shelf at the very front of the shelf.  Would it be problem to file/sand it down so the highest point would be at the  deepest part of the grip?  If I did that, would you recommend filing or coarse sanding, and what would you use to finish the shelf afterwards to protect it from the elements?

Offline DCM

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: filing shelf
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2009, 08:57:00 AM »
I use a bandsaw for the initial cuts, but a coping saw with be a better option.  Then I use rasps, and a chainsaw file to maintain a "fillet" between the two planes of the arrow rest and the riser.  Very difficult to make a "clean" corner any other way.  Be very careful to only rasp towards the fiberglass, if you push the other way you'll raise splinters.  Then work it with sandpaper down to at least 220, be sure to follow the grain.  Any good polyurethane would be appropriate for the refinishing.

Perhaps you may not have considered, but this is a prime opportunity to fine tune the fit of the handle to your preferences as well.  I've redone countless older bows from the 70s like this and it makes all the difference.  I'm working on an old Ben Pearson Cougar in fact, including adding overlays to the string grooves to allow me to shoot fastflight string abnd tweaking the limb width profile.  It's like a new bow, perhaps 10# more cast in terms of effective spine required including the additional centershot I put in during the shelf redesign.

Online pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2009, 02:15:00 PM »
Man, I wish I lived closer to TN.  I'd beg you to show me when you are doing it.  Thanks for the input.

Offline DCM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2009, 09:02:00 AM »
Patrick,

I'll snap some pics this weekend and post for you.  It's exactly like building a bow from scratch, so in the mean time search for glass bow build alongs, or any bow w/ a cut in shelf.

If you have specific questions ask.  Lots and lots of folks would benefit from a public discussion, but more imporantly lots and lots of folks will have information to offer as well.

When I said "countless" in my earlier post in hindsight that sounds like an exaggeration, more specifically it amounts to perhaps a dozen total in 8-10 years.  There are guys lurking here who do 1 or 2 a WEEK.  I expect they'll have some insight I probably don't.

Online ChristopherO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2009, 08:20:00 AM »
pdk25,
If the link works here is an example of just what you are looking for:

http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=075732;p=1

Offline DCM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2009, 08:28:00 AM »

You can modify the shelf without too much stock removal, and without really effecting the bow other than fletching clearance.  It doesn't seem like much but it can matter on fine tuning.  

You want for the arrow to rest directly above the deepest part of the grip, as shown.  Make a relieve cut down into the shelf first (second pic), very modest.  Then work down with a cut lowering the shelf, working carefully to the kerf you established already.  Then work the fillet (rounded corner of the shelf and riser) with a round rasp.  Then work the surfaces down to even with the fillet.

You can also take a little width out of the bow at the arrow pass, increasing it's centershot.  Not necessarily a good thing.  A little center shot, versus being cut past center, actually helps make a finger shot bow more forgiving, imho.  You want to be able to anticipate consistent flex in the shaft on the loose and a little proud of center adds and guides the forces into the flex.  So, be gentle with the stock removal, in fact avoid the area.

Some tools.  A 1/2 round double cut Nicholson and a #50 pattern makers rasp.  I use a single cut mill bastard too for fine cut.  The end grain of the arrow shelf in particular will sometimes develop chatter and tool marks so go slow, you'll need to leave proud to allow for generous sanding.

Online pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2009, 10:01:00 AM »
Great pics, DCM.  I don't alot of power tools, but should be able to do mostly with files.  I'll look around for a saw that would work for the relieve cut.  Thanks for the link, ChristopherO.  I hadn't seen that before.

Offline Holm-Made

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2009, 10:33:00 AM »
Those are great pictures DCM.  I use a hack saw to make those initial cuts.

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2009, 10:29:00 PM »
Good tips David!! I agree with all you said!! And great pics too!  :thumbsup:
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline Sam Harper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2009, 10:51:00 PM »
I use a disk sander to radius my shelves.  Here's a video showing how I do it:

There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©