Author Topic: adding limb overlays to a finished bow.  (Read 366 times)

Offline fireball31

• Trad Bowhunter
adding limb overlays to a finished bow.
« on: August 04, 2009, 11:42:00 AM »
I'm currently shooting an older Holmes longbow. It doesn't have tip overlays right now and I would like to add antler.  Does anybody have a link to a buildalong.  Thanks in advance.  I used the search function and couldn't find what I was looking for.

Offline bigcountry

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: adding limb overlays to a finished bow.
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2009, 12:27:00 PM »
No build a long, but just flatten both pieces with a scraper, sandpaper, sander/etc.  Make sure its a tight fit.  Clamp down oversized antler piece (should be wider than your limb tips).  I use plastic weld on osage because its an epoxy same color as osage, but others use CA glue, some use regular clear epoxy, others use titebond 3 for wood/antler, you get the idea.  Then use your file to shape in to desired shape.

Offline Hermann From Bavaria

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2009, 01:10:00 PM »
i agree with bigcountry. i do it the same way with clear epoxy.

greets

edit: take a look at  www.free-archers.de  use search function with overlays/tip overlays.
in past even the future was better, so what do you want?

Offline fireball31

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2009, 02:34:00 PM »
thanks guys.  It will be my first time messing around with it.  I think I'm gonna play around with some scraps before I commit

Offline bigcountry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2009, 02:38:00 PM »
Fireball, thats what I did.  Out of all the things in bowbuilding this was the easiest.

but one tip, is to taper the one end going toward the handle before gluing on.  Its about impossible to taper on the bow without cutting into your limb.    I use a belt sander.  Made life a lot easier than doing it by hand.

Offline fireball31

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2009, 07:12:00 PM »
Thats what I was thinking bigcountry.  thanks again. Once I get started I'll post some pics.

Offline ALW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2009, 08:30:00 AM »
I assume your bow is a glass bow.  I've not done tip overlays on glass bows but have done all my selfbows with overlays.  If you can't get the tip perfectly flat to mate with the overlay, you can wrap the tip with some sandpaper and rub the overlay piece over the sandpaper.  It will sand down to the shape of the tip and give it a better glue line.  I've also used slightly thicker than 1/16" pieces for overlays.  I alternate wood type to get a laminated look.  Glue the first one on and use several small clamps.  The thin pieces will shape to the tip and give a good glue line.  Then add additional pieces the same way.

Tapering them before hand like bigcountry said is good advice.  I didn't do it on the first couple I did and what a bear to get it sanded.  Good advice above.

Aaron

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©