Author Topic: Examples of recurve forms; for all-wood laminates  (Read 459 times)

Offline dutchwarbow

• Trad Bowhunter
Examples of recurve forms; for all-wood laminates
« on: August 06, 2009, 09:52:00 PM »
As I probably told elsewhere, I love recurves. Especially the one-piece recurves. Now I know that a bamboo and ipé can take the stress, but I have some trouble bending ipé.

Today I unwrapped my first attempt at a recurve, a quadlam with lams of an estimated 3/32" thickness. mummywrapped it, clamped it on a bar. I had 2x 4" blocks below the tips, a 2" block below the handle, and pressed the limbs all the way down to the bar, giving it a 2" deflex, and a 4" reflex (2"netto reflex).

even though I had put the clamps really close to the tips, those don't really bend. The outter limbs hold a big reflex now, but it stops at the tips. Not so 'recurve' as supposed to be. I'll get some pics online tomorrow.

Now, I want to make a form for these bows. Nothing fancy, just a rubberband form. No pressure strips, no nothing. Just all wood. But I need some examples of recurve forms, with long and fluent recurves, as I can't bend the ipé lams too far.

If someone has any good forms, or unbraced pics of their recurve, they're more then welcome!!

:notworthy:  

Nick
in the old days religion had it's use to keep nations together. Today, religion tears nations apart.

Nick

Offline Bert Frelink

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Examples of recurve forms; for all-wood laminates
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2009, 10:04:00 AM »
Nick,
I will try and get some pics up for you, I am away for the weekend but will post some on Monday.
I am just finishing a Bamboo backed Walnut and Osage Recurve it is pulling 60# @ 22" right now and the Osage belly is getting pretty thin but will be OK, would like to get to 60# @ 28".
Here is a pic of a Bamboo backed Osage recurve I build for a client.
Regards, Bert

Offline Bert Frelink

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2009, 10:06:00 AM »
And another(same bow)

Offline dutchwarbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2009, 04:58:00 PM »
Bert, that looks like one sharp recurve! did you steam/boil/heatbend the laminates? As I heard this can't be done with ipé...

here's my attempt, it's the lower one. I intend to pike it a little, leaving bringing the reflex more to the tips, and taking it down to the desired lenght of 58".

the planned layout

in the old days religion had it's use to keep nations together. Today, religion tears nations apart.

Nick

Offline Bert Frelink

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2009, 01:26:00 PM »
Nick,
Here are some pic's for you.
Let me know if you have any questions.

Offline Bert Frelink

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2009, 01:33:00 PM »
Then I bend the Bamboo seperatly and bend it on the same form

Offline Bert Frelink

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2009, 01:38:00 PM »
And some more  

Offline dutchwarbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2009, 09:17:00 PM »
thanks Alot Bert!

I've bent quite a few recurves, in almost exactly the same manner as you just showed.

Osage is very hard to come by for me, living in the netherlands, and ipé is almost impossible to steambend. That's why Im thinking of making thin lams and glue the bow in a rubberband form.

Doesn't take away that your imput is very apreciated! thanks man! Have you ever thought about bending the boo and osage at once?

Nick

Nick

Nick

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2009, 10:49:00 PM »
Nick, have you seen Dean Torges' video..."Hunting the Bamboo Backed Bow"...? Lots of good info there about BBO bows from straight to R/D to recurve and simple but interesting forms for bending and shaping them.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Bert Frelink

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2009, 11:12:00 PM »
Hey Nick, Osage is hard to come by here as well, altough it's easier for me to get than it is for you I am sure.
There is a book on the way you are thinking of doing it by a guy from England I think his name is Pip Bickerstaff.
Good luck in your quest.
Regards, Bert.  :campfire:

Offline Moen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2009, 05:41:00 AM »
Nick. I send you a email.
Never believe that you are worthless .... you can always be used as a bad example!

Offline dutchwarbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2009, 08:40:00 PM »
thanks guys  ;)

Nick

Offline Shore08

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2009, 08:48:00 PM »
Looking forward to seeing how yours comes out DWB.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©