Author Topic: Bowyer's Bible Differences  (Read 491 times)

Offline Shore08

• Trad Bowhunter
Bowyer's Bible Differences
« on: August 09, 2009, 09:39:00 PM »
Does anyone know what the differences are between the versions of the Traditional Bowyer's Bible? It looks like there are 4 volumes, and I am unsure if they build off each other or if they are just newer versions. Thanks!

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bowyer's Bible Differences
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2009, 09:49:00 PM »
They are a series with different info in each.  Well worth the price if you're into making your own bows, arrows and equipment in general.  Also sections on Native American and other parts of the world archery styles.  I recommend highly all 4.
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows
USA Archery, Level 4 NTS Coach

Are you willing to give up what you are; to become what you could be?

Offline dutchwarbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2009, 10:01:00 PM »
tbb1 would be my first. then ttb4, then tbb2, then tbb3. Why?

tbb1 are the basics, teaches the principles of the designs, etc.

tbb4 has some updates on the ttb1, but also teaches you how to get the most from your bows.

tbb2 is an excelent book, teaching you to create other designs, using boards for bows, making strings...

tbb3 just is one excelent read with the 'bows ofthe word' chapter, very interesting facts about quickdrying int the stoneage bow chapter,

but really, you should just buy the whole pack.

Nick
in the old days religion had it's use to keep nations together. Today, religion tears nations apart.

Nick

Offline Shore08

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2009, 10:11:00 PM »
Haha, I was afraid you guys would say that. I have 1 selfbow under my belt (hickory longbow), but it was with a ton of help at the TN Classic. I really want to try my hand at an all wood recurve next, so I'm starting to (slowly) plan it out. Thanks!

Offline Springbuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2009, 10:53:00 PM »
Later volumes SLIGHTLY contradict a few points in the earlier, but over all, I think you need to read them, in order, or like Dutch warbow said.

If you are just interested in getting through a few wood bows to get experience, I would recommend "The Bent Stick" by Paul Comstock.  It is a short, basic, but very helpful read.  Then hit the TBB's to really deepen your understanding.
42% of statistics are made up, and the other 62% are inaccurate.

Offline bigcountry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2009, 11:00:00 PM »
You need Vol1 to start out with selfbows.  And Vol 4 is good.  Only thing I found useful with three is part on takedowns.

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2009, 11:10:00 PM »
I agree with Nick wholeheartedly. If you get only one though, go for Vol./ 1.    Vol 2 has a chapter on bending wood and one on recurves...but!
  If you have only built one bow I would suggest getting Vol. 1 or The Bent Stick like SpringBuck suggested and learn the nuances of tillering before you jump into a recurve. They look cool and shoot well but tillering them is more critical and tweaking the tips to get them to line up can be trouble for experienced bowyers. Work your way up to recurves after you have a few more straight limbed bows under your belt.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline ChristopherO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2009, 11:00:00 AM »
I highly recommend them but can say that a casual reader may find them overwhelming if a simple bow is all they want to make.  They are packed with a ton of information.  Great reads, though.

Offline Dano

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2009, 11:56:00 AM »
You just can't have enough books on the subject if you plan to build bows. Having the reference material on hand is the best addition to any shop.  Hunting the Osage Bow by Dean Torges is also a fine book, I heard of a new book by Stim Wilcox that sounds pretty good.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy" Red Green

Offline Hermann From Bavaria

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2009, 03:14:00 PM »
i like the bibles. its really much knowledge in this books. also i picked up information from dean torges book (dano talked about), the bent stick, and "bows and arrows of the native americans" from jimm hamm and several german books. i buy nearly every bow building book i can get.

they´re all interesting...
in past even the future was better, so what do you want?

Offline dutchwarbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2009, 09:12:00 PM »
bent stick indeed is a winner. Perfect for guys who 'just want to make a bow   ;)

Nick
in the old days religion had it's use to keep nations together. Today, religion tears nations apart.

Nick

Offline shamus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2009, 07:13:00 AM »
To get started, get the Bent Stick and The Bowyer's Bible Vol.1.

I have a detailed review of the Bowyer\\'s Bible Vol.4 here.  

I'd also suggest Hunting the Osage Bow.

Offline Shore08

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2009, 01:40:00 PM »
Wow, thanks guys, a ton of information in this post, I really appreciate it.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©