Author Topic: About lam thickness, and a few questions for kenny  (Read 378 times)

Offline dutchwarbow

• Trad Bowhunter
About lam thickness, and a few questions for kenny
« on: August 09, 2009, 09:45:00 PM »
Hey, I'm getting more and more eager to start some glass bows. I'm still figuring things out, But getting very close to an actual start. I've just found this chart for the required thickness of the laminations
  http://www.3riversarchery.com/pdf/LongbowChart.pdf

This comes down to an .004 total taper, and a 10# increase for every 2" in bow length. this however is only for the most simple, straight longbow designs. I'm mostly interested in hunting recurves though.

From what I've read, the .004 taper should be okay. But I guess recurves act pretty different from straight bows.

I would like to know by how much (aprox) the poundage raises for every inch of net. reflex, as I guess this is the most important factor. I don't really care about an exact drawweight, for recurves anything between 50#-70#would be fine.

Well then, I have a few questions for you, Kenny. As I've seen you make the most excelent lams around, so you would be my first choice when it comes to lams. There's a little problem though, being that I live in The Netherlands. Now I would like to know if you ship overseas, and if you can ship epoxies. I actually have a ton more questions, wich I might even annoy you with later in an email  ;)

thanking in advance,

Nick
in the old days religion had it's use to keep nations together. Today, religion tears nations apart.

Nick

Offline strungstick

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: About lam thickness, and a few questions for kenny
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2009, 12:09:00 PM »
Kenny may be on vacation so I'll chime in a little and bring it back up to the top:
-.004 appears to be a lot (too much)of taper to me for a recurve.  My recurves have .002 total taper so I've not had any experience with that much taper.  Others may have more knowledge to contribute.
-I've used the rule of thumb that .001 thickenss change will result in about 1 lb. of bow weight for a recurve.  Also, depending on design, 2 inch difference in a recurve will result in 6-10 lbs draw weight difference.
I hope that will get you started.

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2009, 05:58:00 PM »
I agree with stugstick, .004 seems high. some of the older BEAR bows had .004/in taper but alot of what I see now is .002 or less(par). your net rise will depend on your overall design. How much deflex to how much reflex is what makes the diff. Adjusting a recurve length is not as easy as adjusting a longbow length. I would pick a length and build it until it is perfect. smooth,stable and snappy. hope it helps.
Chuck
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

"Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.”
~ Francis Chan

Offline Mike Most

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2009, 09:04:00 PM »
http://www.binghamprojects.com/Page%2019.pdf?PHPSESSID=0251224dc9ee47863e035892b2cbf522

This is Bingham Projects bow thickness chart, if you have not looked at it. It may also help you out.

Good Luck

Mike
"It Shall be Life" (Ten Bears to Josie Wales)
------------------                Michael Most-Adkins Texas

Offline dutchwarbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2009, 09:06:00 PM »
I guess I'll go with the butt thickness for a 50# bow then, add 2" of nett. reflex, go for a nice sharp recurve (less stack...) and hope that it's gonna end somewhere in the high 50's...

or so  ;)

thanks for getting this back to the top strunstick, it's very apreciated  :)  I indeed read somewhere that kenny's on vacation. Should have remembered it!

Nick
in the old days religion had it's use to keep nations together. Today, religion tears nations apart.

Nick

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2009, 10:49:00 PM »
Nope, not on vacation yet!!  Wish I was!! Hopefully mulies in mid-Sept..........   :archer:  

.004 sounds too much for a recurve to me,sounds unstable. Very narrow longbows ,1 - 1.125" wide can handle .004" total taper IMO.

As noted above,a recurve would be better at .002 for the first off the form,then adjust as needed,if needed.

I can ship 2 pt units of Smoothon by USPS which I understand works best overseas.

By my calc.,shipping for lams and glue will be $40 to $45 to the Netherlands(OUCH!)

Annoy away please!    :cool:   [email protected]
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline dutchwarbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2009, 08:48:00 PM »
Ahh I see  ;)  Thanks for your reply!

I've heard about flammables not being allowed to be shipped overseas, these would include epoxies? hmm.

40-45$ is much less than expected. thought more like 90-120$, hehe  :D  Guess I'll order my lams from you kenny  :)

and ehm... about that annoying, are you sure? I'm going to make you sorry you said this, hehe  :)

Nick

Nick

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2009, 08:34:00 PM »
Have to check on the flammables overseas Nick. I've shipped overseas,but only lams and glass.....
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©