Author Topic: Bambo, Purple Heart and Osage LB ?...  (Read 344 times)

Offline BJP

• Trad Bowhunter
Bambo, Purple Heart and Osage LB ?...
« on: August 11, 2009, 01:13:00 PM »
Ok Ive been looking at all the bows you guys have been building and decided to try and build a lam long bow for my self. i was thinking about about bbo back, purple heart accent strip and osage belly. Having only built a couple of self bows this should be fun. Any one have any suggestions or know where i can find suggestions on lam thicknesses,tapers,ect... Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks, Ben

Offline ProArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
People need to get a life. That dose not mean to take someone else’s, or to make one they can't support.

If you fish and hunt only to catch or kill something. You have MISSED THE POINT COMPLETELY.

Offline dutchwarbow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bambo, Purple Heart and Osage LB ?...
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2009, 08:39:00 PM »
all wood laminate or glass?

I just messed up a 58" all wood hybrid by making the maple core too thick (the 1/16" still was too thick). Had to sand all 90% of the ipé belly away, and the boo started to overpower the maple core, that had become mostly a belly.

but on longer bows, like 64"+ I'm sure you can get away with a thicker core than 1/16". Purpleheart could look cool, though it's likely to darken pretty quickly, unless you cover it with an uv laquer...

boo is an excelent backing, osage is an excelent belly, and purpleheart will give a nice core.

what design are you aiming for? elb, afb, r/d?
tell me!

project sounds good, goodluck!

Nick
in the old days religion had it's use to keep nations together. Today, religion tears nations apart.

Nick

Offline BJP

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bambo, Purple Heart and Osage LB ?...
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2009, 07:26:00 AM »
All wood.

I got to looking at my wood supply and my osage isnt the best but i found a nice piece of maple do you think it will work or should i keep looking for some osage, also the bow is now going to be for my girl friend. she saw the purple heart and decided she wants one so i guess if it gets her out shooting i will make it for her.

As far as design goes i dont really have a form so i was gonna keep it simple and what does elb and afb mean sorry not up on the abreviations yet.

Thanks,
Ben

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©