Author Topic: tiller tree question  (Read 657 times)

Offline TroyH

• Trad Bowhunter
tiller tree question
« on: August 12, 2009, 09:44:00 PM »
When I tiller a bow, I've always just centered the bow on the tree, but when doing some reading I noticed that some people shift the bow in one direction, I assume to put the arrow shelf in the center of the tree.  Perhaps this is done on a bow with a shorter bottom limb where the shelf actually falls closer to center.  That part I'm not sure of.
Anyway, on a bow with equal length limbs, should I be shifting the bow to the side and centering the arrow shelf on the tree, or is the way I've been doing it ok?
Formerly known as PastorHunter.

Offline Dano

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: tiller tree question
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2009, 10:05:00 PM »
I used to tiller a bow with the center of the bow on the tree, and found the tiller to be off just a tad. To see it tho you have to draw the bow with the bow on a pivot point. I use a half round piece of wood I can put on the shelf of the tree toward final tiller. This simulates how the bow will be draw a whole lot closer. I think Dean Torges calls this dynamic balance. Try it you'll like it.   ;)
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy" Red Green

Offline TroyH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2009, 10:41:00 PM »
Ok, I understand how that would work, but how do you center the handle/bow on the tiller tree, off a little to the side or perfectly centered?

Offline Dano

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2009, 10:46:00 PM »
You don't center the handle, you pivot the bow where you would normally draw it from, lets say 1 1/4" above center. I'm sure someone will come on here that can explain it better than I.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy" Red Green

Offline Hermann From Bavaria

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2009, 01:41:00 AM »
dano,
you dont use the whole handle, only the point where your hand pushes? am i right? in germany we say "druckpunkt". i dont know in english. perhaps "point of pressure"?
in past even the future was better, so what do you want?

Offline ProArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2009, 06:31:00 AM »
I think what everone is saying is you place it on the handle as if it where your hand
People need to get a life. That dose not mean to take someone else’s, or to make one they can't support.

If you fish and hunt only to catch or kill something. You have MISSED THE POINT COMPLETELY.

Offline TroyH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2009, 09:03:00 AM »
That being the case, you would center where the handle is cut in (the low point)as that is where all the pressure rests.  When making the handle, I've always tried to make that the center point anyway.
But on an osage self bow for example, there is likely no such cut in spot.

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2009, 09:40:00 AM »
Checking tiller on a tiller tree and again in your hand will be somewhat different. The tree is static and your hand will compensate for slight inequities. I do all of my tillering with a tree. I don't measure for positive or negative tiller. When I look at my hand held tiller it generally looks right to me. Sometimes, after shooting a few arrows I will readjust the tiller a bit.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline TroyH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2009, 10:10:00 AM »
This may be a dumb question, but how does one go about checking hand held tiller?

Offline Hermann From Bavaria

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2009, 11:06:00 AM »
you can check it with a mirror, or with a friend who draws the bow.
in past even the future was better, so what do you want?

Offline ProArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2009, 11:59:00 AM »
Or with a camera with a self timer or a video camera. Or have someone take a picture of you pulling the bow and then post it here
People need to get a life. That dose not mean to take someone else’s, or to make one they can't support.

If you fish and hunt only to catch or kill something. You have MISSED THE POINT COMPLETELY.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2009, 03:29:00 PM »
I work from the center. I also draw the bow in my hand, in front of a mirror and in front of a digicam held by my wife. Jawge

Offline kodiakkid

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2009, 03:42:00 PM »
I'm deffinitely no expert but I tiller on the tree with the center of the handle positioned on the center of the tree shelf. I also have my wife take a picture of me at full draw.
Always strive to do the right thing. Don't beat yourself down when you mess up. Ask for forgivness and keep on keeping on.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©