Author Topic: rawhide backing advice  (Read 663 times)

Offline tah-gah-jute

• Trad Bowhunter
rawhide backing advice
« on: August 13, 2009, 09:31:00 PM »
i have a black locust bow i'm working on.wasn't originally planning on backing but had some grub or borer damage.i put layer of deer sinew on it a month or two ago.didn't really like the way it looks.so i was going to put elk rawhide over the sinew.figure it would add extra strength plus look alot better plus could do some art work on rawhide.question for you guys that have experience working with rawhide do you put it on dry or moist,make a difference over sinew,and do you size it like before adding sinew.thanks

Offline Dano

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: rawhide backing advice
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2009, 09:45:00 PM »
Put it on moist, What glue are you planning on using? How thick is this rawhide?
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy" Red Green

Offline tah-gah-jute

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2009, 09:51:00 PM »
was using tb3,that's what i used with the sinew.rawhide is pretty thin probably no more than 1/16"

Offline Dano

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2009, 10:17:00 PM »
Sounds good, that oughta work. I wouldn't worry about sizing the sinew first since you using the same glue.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy" Red Green

Offline tah-gah-jute

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2009, 11:14:00 PM »
thanks Dano.met you at mojam last year.

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2009, 12:28:00 AM »
What Dano said.  Just like his byline suggests!
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline tah-gah-jute

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2009, 07:57:00 AM »
so,do you just moisten or does it have to sit in warm water?sorry didn't want to mess bow up by doing it wrong.thanks

Offline Dano

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2009, 09:40:00 AM »
Hey Tim, did you make it again this year? Yes, soak it for about an hour. Are you going to wrap it with ace bandages ? If so don't wrap too tightly, or you'll leave indentations in the rawhide.

Offline tah-gah-jute

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2009, 10:31:00 AM »
Dano,one more dumb question.wondering best way to trim rawhide.would it be best to soak first then after gluing on back lay bow on back and trim excess off with exacto knife?didn't know if it would cut better after moist than trying to cut it while hard.no,didn't make it to mojam this year.would have liked to have made it but fuel cost.plus me and son went to bow class with Ryan O'Sullivan this last weekend.it was great!!!!!yeah probably will wrap with ace bandage.thanks for help.

Offline Dano

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2009, 10:56:00 AM »
I bet that was fun, I'd like to meet Ryan one day. I would trim the rawhide first while it's dry, leave about 1/4 extra width to help line it up. The final trimming you'll do when it's dried for a day. I use a sanding block with 100 grit paper, you can use a rasp too, but that takes too much wood IMO.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©