Author Topic: Osage arrows?  (Read 772 times)

Offline poundemin

• Trad Bowhunter
Osage arrows?
« on: August 17, 2009, 09:49:00 PM »
This past weekend I helped my step-father split an Osage log. Out of the deal I got 3 staves(yea!). Each of these chunks of wood measure around 6 inches wide and 6 inches deep and 8 ft long- wedge-shaped of course. I don't THINK I can get 2 bows per wedge (although someone more experienced might be able to). I do think I can get some arrows from the remnants though. Would it be worth the effort? I know someone shoots Osage, but I haven't heard anyone own up to it.   :)  These staves will be my first attempt at bowbuilding and I just thought that if I could make matching arrows it would be kind of fitting. Anyone out there have Osage experience?
Leonard

Online frank bullitt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Osage arrows?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2009, 09:57:00 PM »
Leonard go for it! I would try for 5/16" dia. It has been done and can be. Post when you have them! Good shootin, Steve

Offline Dano

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2009, 10:01:00 PM »
If these are clean staves, not too many knots. I would get belly splits, and then split them again for three staves per. A stave needs only be near 2" x 2" min.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy" Red Green

Offline poundemin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2009, 10:19:00 PM »
Few knots as far as I can tell, but I haven't removed the bark or sapwood yet. There were no limbs on this section of the tree so I'm hoping knots and pins will be at a minimum. I might be able to do that with two of them, but the third has quite a bit of tear out. I won't be able to get a third out of that one but MAYBE two. Although I'm a woodworker(or at least I pretend I am) I'm entering brand new territory to me. I have a feeling this is going to be another one of those hobbies that's going to fill up my shop.  lol
Maybe I can use that for my arrows.   :)  Why 5/16? Wouldn't 1/2 be a little better? I don't know, that's why I'm asking.  
Leonard

Offline Dano

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2009, 10:37:00 PM »
This time of year, the first thing I'd do is get the bark and sapwood off or the borers will destroy them staves.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy" Red Green

Offline strungstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2009, 12:25:00 AM »
Osage might make some pretty good arrows, if it is stable.  I made a lot of my arrows out of hard maple and they are about as indestructible as they come.  They drop like a rock after about 25 yards, however.

Offline Mike Most

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2009, 12:38:00 AM »
I have made some osage footed arrows, cut the osage into 3/8 square stock and worked them down from there, back half of the arrows were fir. tapered 11/32 to 5/16. It is heavy and almost indestructable.
Good Luck

Mike
"It Shall be Life" (Ten Bears to Josie Wales)
------------------                Michael Most-Adkins Texas

Offline Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2009, 09:01:00 AM »
I made a few osage arrows. Very heavy and wouldn't stay straight, much like bad ash shafts.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2009, 09:15:00 AM »
Very heavy. You could use some of tyhe left overs for footings. Jawge

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2009, 10:54:00 AM »
My experience parallels Eric's.  I have one that is over 1100 grains with a 200 grain trade point on it.  Coupled with a 60#+ bow, it would shoot through most anything I imagine.  It knocks the snot out of deer target.  If you were treestand hunting, you'd probably just drop it through a deer  :)

I've made some really cool snaky osage arrows too.  Osage arrows are a lot of work but great fun at the same time.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline bigcountry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2009, 01:14:00 PM »
I don't know if it can be done, but it would be cool if you could.

Offline bretto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2009, 01:36:00 PM »
I've always wondered about this. My father had a set of golf clubs that had osage shafts in them. Keep us posted if You have any luck.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2009, 03:08:00 PM »
Not only can it be done but osage arrows are used for corn stalk shooting. Because of their weight they penetrate further. Jawge

Offline poundemin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2009, 08:01:00 PM »
Well, from all I see here, I think it's worth a shot and if it doesn't work for me that way I'll try footing some. I'm still studying about that.  :)
And I'll stripping the bark off either tomorrow night or Thursday night. Although my shop isn't completely bugproof, I'm not too afraid of much getting to them now. I just hope nothing has gotten to them already. I'll find out in a couple of days.
Leonard

Offline Bill Skinner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2009, 09:42:00 PM »
I watched someone make a 28 inch barrel tapered shaft from an osage splinter.  He used heat to straighten it.  Had a self nock.  He used a pocket knife and a sanding block.  Took him about an hour to make.  Bill

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2009, 10:41:00 PM »
Here's the 1100 grain arrow I was talking about.  

Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2009, 10:44:00 PM »
Here's a snaky one.

Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Tom Leemans

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2009, 09:50:00 AM »
If you use it for arras, use it for footing.
Got wood? - Tom

Offline poundemin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2009, 08:26:00 PM »
Awesome arrows John, although the snaky ones puzzle me.  lol Have you used the 1100 grain arrow for anything- like mastodon? That thing looks huge.
Leonard

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©