Author Topic: perry reflex in carbon/ glass bow?  (Read 513 times)

Offline limbcracker

• Trad Bowhunter
perry reflex in carbon/ glass bow?
« on: August 20, 2009, 10:25:00 AM »
Has anyone tried putting some perry reflex in a carbon or glass bow?  I'm thinking about building a double carbon backed bow , gluing up the bow with just the first backing strip, then reflexing a few more inches and gluing on the second. What do you think, anyone have any ideas on the effect on draw weight, stack?

Offline Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: perry reflex in carbon/ glass bow?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2009, 11:41:00 PM »
Most glass bows have their reflex glued in. Perry reflex is gluing reflex in wood lam bows.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Dano

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2009, 09:14:00 AM »
I don't think the second glue up would help any. If your going to use Smooth on your second glue up would have to cure at a lower temp than the first for one thing. Which may not be a biggie. I would glue the whole thing up at once with the desired reflex.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy" Red Green

Offline bjansen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2009, 09:27:00 AM »
I've thought about this plenty but have never tried it.. I always see two different thoughts on what Perry Reflex is.  Maybe you guys can share what you think:

Thought 1:  Just as you said Pat, Perry Reflex is simply gluing up a wood bow with reflex.

Thought 2:  Like you are implying limbcraker, Perry reflex is gluing up the core of a bow with greater reflex, then pulling that core back and gluing it up in final form (with the back/belly/riser) with less reflex.  Thus when drawn the core of the bow would be under greater stress than the back/belly and would do more "work" than a core under a typical glue up where the it acts simply as a spacer between the belly/back.  This theory makes a lot of sense but I have not yet tried it.

Offline limbcracker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2009, 09:58:00 AM »
Thanks for the unput guys, I've made some good wood bows with perry reflex that shot a little better than average for wood bows, but some that have blown too. My understanding of perry reflex is that if you, for example, bend a bow into 4" of reflex and glue a backing strip onto it, when you take it out of the form, the thicker belly portion "pulls" the backing back to a profile of , say, 2" reflex. Then you have a bow with the stability of 2" reflex and the early draw weight, and performance, of 4" reflex. Doesn't seem to be any reason it wouldn't work in fiberglass, but then there's a reason I call myself limbcracker too! Thanks for the tip about the glue dano, will try that.

Offline Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2009, 05:36:00 PM »
Perry reflex is called that because Dan Perry of Utah, and a world champion flight and distance shooter, popularized the method of gluing in the reflex to increase performance. Dan makes Hickory and bamboo backed hickory bows mostly. Hickory doesn't have very good compression strength and by adding the glued in reflex the stresses in the wood are lessened somehow, I believe, as well as keeping the tips forward of the handle when unbraced. Also being from Utah the hickory performs better because of the low humidity which makes the bow wood very dry. Many bow woods can't handle 6% m/c without blowing.
   Perry reflex as well as the other technique ya'll are talking about(2 glue ups at different degrees of reflex)are covered in TBBI in the "Design and Performance" chapter.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©